Closer

Without one word, Niall walked into the familiar pub, nearly taken aback by the lack of customers. He would have been surprised if it wasn't three in the afternoon. It might be a bit crazy to want to get a drink at the time of day it was, but what he could say? He was Irish. What did you expect from him?

The usual sound of the workers talking and laughing was heard as Niall stepped into the building. "Hey, Bob, guess who decided to show up?" One of the workers, Frank said as he caught sight of Niall. The lad seated himself on one of the stools by the counter, watching as Bob walked toward him, cleaning a glass as he did. "Horan, haven't seen you in a couple days. Couldn't resist your Irish cravings, hm?" Bob teased, setting the cup down on the surface with a loud clink. "Yeah, the Irish is too strong in me. Can't hold back the urge to drink for long," Niall joked with a laugh, cut short by the sound of the door opening. In shock, Niall realized he recognized the man who stepped inside.

The familiar voice rang through the pub, any sign of the man's usual small grin gone from his face. Niall didn't know who or what had caused Liam to be so angry (or sad? Niall couldn't tell) but it worsened Niall's mood as well. He didn't want to see a man as genuinely kind (as cold as he could be to strangers) upset.

"Ah, Payne. The usual 'whatever you can get to get drunk', I assume?" Frank spoke up. "Yeah," Liam nodded, tone gruff as he sat on a stool a few away from Niall's.
"Fight didn't go as well as you were hoping?" Bob asked when he set the glass of beer in front of Liam. Liam shook his head, groaning. "Fight actually went better, I suppose, for me." "Then what's got you in a funk?" Another worker, Dan, spoke, familiar Scottish accent heard throughout the pub. "Hurt the guy bad. He's in the hospital," Liam answered, shaking his head before taking a sip of the beer.

"Shit, man, that's rough," Bob inputted, setting a hand on Liam's shoulder. "Didn't mean to do it either. The guy was a right wanker though. Trash talking, cheating, the whole lot," Liam let out a heavy sigh, once again sipping the beer. "Don't see why you're so upset about it. Lad put that on himself," Dan said. "You think I would be happy about putting a guy in the hospital?" Liam snapped. "Jerk or not, nobody deserves that." Dan and Bob shared a look, then left the conversation there, not wanting to upset Liam any further.

"Uh, hi again," Liam spoke up, turning in his stool slightly to face Niall. "Hey," Niall returned a greeting, running a hand through his hair. "Sorry, about all that. I'm just frustrated about it, I suppose," Liam huffed out a sigh, tone much lighter than it had been just minutes ago. "It's alright, mate," Niall shrugged it off. "Really though, I am sorry. Don't want to scare you off before I even get to know you." Niall would have questioned what the lad had meant, but Liam turned back in his seat, continuing to drink.

Well, that would be on Niall's mind the whole night.