0-8-4

The cold air breezed into the small bunk of the detective. Nova had wrapped herself in the comfort of her many blankets and pillows, trying to ignore the freezing feeling she was enduring. After a good ten minutes of trying to ignore the feeling she took it as a sign to get out of bed.

The bus had been en route to Peru but for the night they stationed themselves in the LA airbase of SHIELD to wait for the arrival of Skye– who would be joining the team. Nova wasn't quite sure what Coulson was playing at, she wasn't an official agent for SHIELD but bringing in another? She didn't think it was a bad idea, compared to her teammate Ward, but she was curious how it would all play out.

After she decided she looked presentable in her black trousers and a simple white shirt, she made her way downstairs towards the lab.
"Good morning!" Nova smiled cheerfully to the pair of scientists she was glad to call friends already. After their first mission she had bonded quickly with the two of them, one of them a little more than the other.

"Good morning, Nova!" Fitz exclaimed happily from his workspace. Nova watched him a little and he seemed to be tinkering away on another piece of SHIELD tech she didn't quite understand.

"Morning!" Jemma walked past the detective in a quick motion. "Excuse me, I need the.. ah!" The biochemist had swiftly grabbed a device from the shelves in the lab.

"So-" Fitz walked up to her, his voice making her turn back to the Scot. "How did you sleep?"

"Not bad, I was freezing halfway through the night though."

"Oh, so not that good either?" He gave her an apologetic smile.

Nova laughed a little at his expression, finding it endearing how much he cared.

"I think they just set the air conditioning a little too hard here." Nova chuckled when the hangar door of the bus opened up. The three team members turned their heads at the sound and watched as Skye walked into the plane with a few boxes in her hands.

"Oh, Agent Coulson told us the news." Jemma quickly dropped the tools in her hands and walked towards the girl. "What a wonderful surprise. Isn't it guys?" She asked the two behind her.

"Yeah!" Nova said excitedly. She didn't mention that she secretly already expected it before Coulson had told the team in a briefing.

"No, it's wonderful."

"Yeah, a surprise." Fitz replied at the same time as Jemma turned back to Skye with a grin ever so present on her face. Nova looked at Fitz in shock, amused by his behavior. She chuckled and hit him on the chest, softly to not hurt him but to get his attention. The man turned his attention to the detective next to her in feigned shock.

"What was that for?" He whispered. The other two girls had already started walking up the stairs to show Skye her bunk.

"Play nice, Leo." Nova chuckled at the use of his first name she used and quickly walked off towards her other two found friends, just fast enough so she didn't embarrass herself with the man. She swore she heard a faint 'how did she even?' before she heard his footsteps follow.

***
"Hey" May walked up to the young detective at the side of the car. "Take this, just in case." The agent handed her one of her guns which Nova took hesitantly. The girl looked down at the weapon in her hand in confusion.

"Don't you need it?"

"I'll take a gun when I need one." May simply shrugged it off and Nova took that as a sign of friendliness.

"Thanks." She smiled. When May walked off, Nova looked back down at the gun which felt heavier now. Her smile dropped when she thought back to her training– she quickly shook her head, getting rid of the thought. She walked around the car, joining the rest of the team as she put the gun in her holster, she knew May gave her a night-night gun and the bullets were non-lethal so she wasn't worried about using it if she had to.