Unveiling secrets

"Before we dive into the details of the mission," Coulson began, a slight twinkle in his eye, "there's a minor hiccup we need to address." He turned to Ward, who sat in the corner, trying his best to look unfazed. The team was sitting in the living area of the bus, everyone was in heavy conversation until Coulson joined them for the mission report.

Nova exchanged amused glances with the rest of the team, barely containing her laughter as she leaned back in her chair. This was going to be good.

"Certain someone forgot to fill up the cars with gas," Coulson said with a dramatic pause, directing his gaze at Ward, who shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Oh, come on, Ward!" Fitz teased, a grin playing on his lips. "We've got this critical mission, and you can't even handle basic logistics?"

Simmons chimed in, shaking her head with mock disappointment. "I thought field specialists were supposed to be meticulous. I guess we were mistaken."

Skye leaned forward, unable to hold back her laughter. "Seriously, Ward? Did you think the cars ran on pure determination?"

Ward's lips tightened as he tried to defend himself, but the team's teasing was relentless. Nova joined in, unable to resist the opportunity to add her own jab. "I guess it's a good thing we don't need gas to solve this problem – we'll just harness Ward's ego for power."

Laughter filled the room, Ward's attempts to counter the banter drowned out by the team's playful mockery.

Coulson raised his hand to stop the laughter, his lips quirking up in a half-smile. "Alright, alright, settle down. We might not have our usual transportation, but that doesn't mean we can't adapt."

Ward let out a resigned sigh, realising he was outnumbered. "Fine, I get it. My bad. Let's just get to the mission." He rolled his eyes and sat back in his chair, his arms crossed.

Coulson nodded, returning to his serious tone. "We just received a mission from Headquarters. We need to locate a confused individual hiding in the Montana Mountains. The twist is that this time, we'll be travelling in style." He gestured towards a vintage car model displayed on the screen. It was a '67 Chevy Impala.

Nova's eyebrows shot up, and she exchanged a surprised glance with Skye. Coulson had truly outdone himself this time.

May, ever the stoic one, leaned forward and directed a pointed look at Ward. "Sorry, I think you lost the privileges of being the driver for this journey."

The room erupted in laughter once again, Ward's expression a mixture of frustration and resignation. As the laughter subsided, Coulson cleared his throat, his eyes glinting with amusement. "Alright, team, let's get ready to roll. Ward, remember to check the fuel gauge this time."

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

"So who exactly is this 'confused individual'?" Skye asked as the team stepped out of the impala. A red Chevrolet came to a halt next to them and Coulson stepped out with May. Nova assumed Coulson really liked taking her out for a mission. While he drove his own car the rest of the team had used the Impala that Coulson rented (Nova and the rest knew they would never hear the end of Ward's complaining after being squeezed into the middle seat).

"HQ reported it being a woman in her late 30's holding an old artefact that belongs to SHIELD, but more than that we don't know." Coulson took off his sunglasses and put them in the pocket of his jacket neatly. "Our satellites picked her up walking around aimlessly. This place used to be an old SSR hideout, used by Peggy Carter and the Howling commandos themselves."