Prologue

"These are all the files the department could find about the experiments you requested." Lucia, the newly hired intern said to Nova as she was handed the files she asked for. She smiled at the young girl and thanked her. Lucia made her way back to her own desk and Nova immediately began to do her research.

Nova Avery, a well-known detective all around the world. She has solved numerous mysteries and was even the first person to be right about the 'Thor theory'. A recent turn of events has caught the attention of the young detective lately which led her to read all the files that the department could find. Numerous hospitals in the area around Los Angeles all had encounters with patients that died of similar causes. The biggest pattern between these deaths was that the cause of death was never discovered. After some more digging Nova found out that all the patients had all undergone special treatments at the same medical clinic.

Sadly that was as far as she got. An address. It wasn't a well-known clinic and they only specialized in physiotherapy (that's what the website said at least). So she decided to check it out to just 'ask some questions'. The moment she grabbed her gear however she was stopped by the ringing of her phone. It wasn't her work phone so she was very confused about why an anonymous caller was calling her. When she pressed accept she never would've believed to hear the voice of an old friend.

"Nova Avery, it has been a while since we last spoke hasn't it?" The voice of Phil Coulson said at the other end of the line.

Nova couldn't help but smirk. Of course, Phil Coulson would call her randomly after three years like it was the most normal thing in the world.

"Well well, Phil Coulson. In what do I owe the pleasure? Does S.H.I.E.L.D. need my help again with something?"

"You could say that. But it isn't just S.H.I.E.L.D. it's also a friend asking for a favor."

She turned to the two co-workers that were waiting for her at the side of her desk. She held her phone to her shoulder so she could talk to the two men. "Guys go back to your other assignments I don't think we'll be heading out for a while."They nodded at her and walked back to their own desks once again while Nova turned her attention back to her phone.

"So, what kind of favor is this and how do I benefit from it." She asked the man with a smirk knowing damn well it didn't actually matter since she'd always help out.

"I've been setting up a team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents that are focused on missions with potential 0-8-4's. I think you're familiar with those right?" The line went quiet for a while, Coulson waiting for an affirmation that the young detective still remembered what he meant. When the girl hummed in familiarity the man continued. "Well, I hoped that you would be a part of that team. I know your last team up with S.H.I.E.L.D a few years ago didn't go as planned and that you've decided that working on your own was better but I hoped you could give us another chance. I think you'd be a great asset. If not for S.H.I.E.L.D then just as a consultant. I'd like to hear about your decision soon."

The girl sighed when Coulson didn't say anything else. Of course, she wanted to help Coulson with his team but teamwork wasn't something she was specialized in. The last time she went on a mission with S.H.I.E.L.D it went horribly wrong and she told herself she wouldn't make that mistake again. But now that Coulson asked for her help she couldn't refuse.

"All right, ill do it. But they better pay me for this."

"Don't worry, I've already made sure of that."