The Asset

A/N: So sorry i disappeared for so long! University was keeping me away but now it's summer and i got more time so I hope you all enjoy this chapter! I'll try to update again soon!

Skye walked past Nova in a hurry, almost bumping into the detective as she did so. Nova chuckled at the distressed look her fellow team mate possessed.

"Where are you going?" Nova asked the girl as she followed her down the stairs to the cargo hold and the lab.

"Training with my new S.O... again." Nova could almost hear her internal groan and she smirked. As the two arrived downstairs she could already see Ward's judging look he gave Skye.

"You know you're late." Ward stated.

"And tired, from the morning workout." Skye sighed and tightened her bandages on her wrists. "I thought I was joining SHIELD, not 24 hour fitness."

"Well good luck" Nova shook her head in amusement and gave Skye a little pat on the shoulder and walked towards the lab. FitzSimmons were already working away with another invention when they noticed Nova's entrance.

"Nova, you're just in time!" Fitz exclaimed, his voice brimming with enthusiasm. Simmons chimed in, her eyes sparkling. "We've created a special spot for you to conduct your detective research right here in the lab!" Nova's face lit up with gratitude and surprise as Simmons continued, her excitement evident. "I personally decorated your desk, Nova, with all the essentials to inspire and support your investigations. It's going to be perfect!" Nova felt a rush of warmth in her heart at the gesture and a smile appeared on her face. She looked behind Fitz' and saw the desk they made her own. She turned back to the pair and immediately pulled Jemma in for a hug.

"Thank you so much guys," Nova whispered in the hug and when she pulled away she turned to Fitz who was already observing them with a smile. She pulled him into a hug too. "You didn't have to do all that!."

"Hey, Simmons. What did your S.O. give you guys for morning drills?" Ward's voice cuts in from outside the lab. The three of them turned their heads to the agent.

"Oh, atomistic attribute drills!" Jemma exclaimed eagerly. "Yeah, we'd name the mechanical, chemical, thermal-"

"Electrical properties of materials." Fitz jumped in, finishing Jemma's thoughts as if their minds were linked.

"Alright fine, you proved your point" Skye rolled her eyes at Ward and Nova tried her best not to laugh.

"Changing course, briefing in three." May's voice cut through the intercom and Nova immediately jumped up in action. This meant there was a new mission.

"Ah- looks like we're on the move!" Fitz had a smile on his face and he was the first to run up the stairs, the others were quick on his tail.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Nova absorbed the details shared during the briefing. A few hours ago, a transport operated by SHIELD came under attack near Sterling while transporting a highly valued asset: Canadian physicist Dr. Franklin Hall. The attackers, apparently, had possessed an ability to turn themselves invisible. At least, that was Coulson's theory so far.

Dr. Hall, along with a small group of esteemed scientists, was being protected by SHIELD because their enemies desperately wanted to get hold of them. The mission at hand was to locate and secure him.

Though not an agent herself, Nova knew the weight of the mission at hand. She understood the gravity of the situation and the heavy security measures that should have been in place during the transport due to Dr. Hall's "priority red" designation.