chapter 30.

Lexie:
On my way back to set I got a call from Kennedy, asking if I could get a lift home with Scarlett because Skye is sick and Joe is working late, therefore they can't pick me up.

Scarlett said she'd be happy to, which is how we've ended up sat in a McDonald's parking lot with a family meal to share between just the two of us.

"So, what do you want for your birthday?" She questions, shoving a few chips into her mouth. "How did you know my birthday was soon?" I laugh. "I have my ways. Now answer the question," she smirks. "I don't want anything," I shrug. "Not gonna cut it. Give me ideas."

"I don't have any ideas," I shrug. "Fine, I'll get you a Spider-Man backpack if you're not going to help me out."
"Please do," I giggle.

I finish up eating my second burger and throw the trash into the bottom of the bag it came in. "You feed me well."
"I'm glad," she laughs, patting the top of my head.

Once Scarlett finishes her food, we pull out of the parking lot and drive home. "How long left do you have in this foster home, sweetheart?" She questions. "One week exactly. I move out Monday morning," I sigh, resting my head on the window. She nods at this with somewhat of a sad smile resting on her lips. "How are you feeling about it?"

"Okay, I guess. I mean, I wish I didn't have to move at all. Kennedy and Joe don't feel like family, but at least I feel settled there if the makes any sense at all?" I shrug before letting out a yawn. "That does make sense," she assures me with a gentle smile. "Have you met the new foster family?"
"Nope. Apparently they're a married couple and I'm going to be the only child which makes me a little bit nervous," I admit, letting out a yawn.

"Why's that, honey?" She asks gently. "I'm not sure. I guess...it's just, I was always an only child growing up and I felt like there was so much responsibility and pressure to do everything, and then when I got put in this foster home it felt nice to not have that weight on my shoulders, and now I'm just scared that it's going to go back to the way it was."

We come to a stop at a red light and Scarlett turns to look at me, taking my hand in hers. "Honey, you know that if you're ever in an environment that makes you feel unsafe, I am only a call away. You're not going to have to go through what your mom put you through again, okay? I'm not going to let that happen, ever. Besides, the process that people have to go through to be able to be foster carers is very lengthy and thorough, so I highly doubt they'd place you in a home that they deemed unsafe."

I take in each word, my already tired eyes start to sting as I attempt to hold back my tears. "I wish I could live with you."
The words come out of my mouth before I can even think.

Scarlett takes a visibly deep breath, wiping my tears. "Me too, my sweet girl," she speaks in a whisper as the light turns green.

There's a few minutes of silence as I look out the window before turning my head to Scarlett, only to notice her crying.

"Did I make you sad?" I ask worriedly. She takes my hand and squeezes it tightly. "No, not all," she smiles sadly. "Do you want to talk about it?" I offer shyly, not really knowing what to do. I've never seen her cry before.

Well not since watching her shoot the scene where Maria and Natasha finally confess their love for each other.

The people are in for a good cry when they see that one.

"Aw baby, it's not your burden to carry, but thank you," she wipes her tears on the sleeve of her shoulder, sending me a small smile. I nod, turning my head to look back out the window because seeing Scarlett cry only makes me want to sob.

Somehow, I must've fallen asleep in the fifteen minutes it took to get home because I woke up again whilst Scarlett was carrying me to the front door.

"Sorry for waking you," she speaks quietly, still holding me in her arms.

"It's okay. Can you pretend I'm still asleep so you can carry me to my bedroom and say goodnight?" I mumble with a tired smile. She giggles at this and nods her head before ringing the doorbell.

"Hi, is she asleep?" Kennedy asks in a quiet voice, opening the front door. "I can carry her up to bed?" Scarlett offers. "Thank you. It's just upstairs and the second door to your left."

Somehow, she manages to carry me all the way upstairs without tripping. She's got some skill, I swear she's a real life Black Widow sometimes.
"That's your right, Scarly," I giggle quietly.
Okay, I take back what I said.
"Whoops," she laughs too.

Once she turns the right way and we get into my bedroom, she puts me down and I immediately throw myself on my bed. "Could this room get any messier?" She quirks an eyebrow. "I mean I could try?" I shrug.

"Clearly, I haven't been home much 'cause I just chuck everything on the floor when I'm tired," I explain, taking my shoes off and throwing them into the corner.

Scarlett chuckles, shaking her head. "Go to sleep, missy."
"I will," I groan. "Thank you for dinner, and for taking me home."

I wrap my arms around her waist and rest my head on her shoulder. "I'm really grateful for you," I admit. "Oh, my sweet girl, I'm so so grateful for you too," she says, kissing the top of my head.

"Goodnight Scarly," I smile gently. "Goodnight Lex."

_________
wrote this very quickly and half asleep so have fun with all the mistakes 👍🏼