chapter 43.

Lexie:
When the evening came around and I was ready, I sat in my dress on my bed whilst I had my head buried in my book.
I'm not even ashamed to say I'm a hundred pages in already.

Colin's parents come to pick up Rose and Cosmo for the night at around four-thirty, as we'd have people over and they would not be able to sleep with any noise.

Willow had messaged me a couple of hours ago explaining that she wasn't going to be able to come tonight because she was sick which is a shame, but I'm glad everyone else can still come.

"Lexie! Can you get the door please?" Mom calls out from across the hall. "Yep!" I say, putting my bookmark in and making my way downstairs.

"Hi Lizzie," I smile widely as I open the front door. "Hi pipsqueak. Happy birthday," she says, embracing me in a hug. "Thank you," I giggle. "I got a little something, but do not let your mother see."
"Uh oh," I laugh, taking the gift from her and looking in the bag.

"Gin?" I look back up at her, quirking an eyebrow. "Yeah, just incase you want a drink tonight and you're not allowed," she shrugs. "You do realise I'm six years under the legal drinking age?" I giggle. "Yes. But it's your birthday, go wild!" She enthuses. "Oh, and here's your real gift," she passes me the smaller bag in her bag.

I open it up, and the box it comes in to see a gold necklace with the initials R and M engraved into it. It stands for Rylee Maximoff. "Thank you Lizzie, I love it," I smile, reaching up on my tippy toes and wrapping my arms around her shoulders. "Of course, Lex."

"Ooo, what did you get?" Mom comes downstairs. "Hey Lizzie," she adds before taking the bag with the alcohol in it from me. "Hey, that's mine," I groan, trying to take it back. "What is it so heavy?" She chuckles, looking in the bag.

"Are you serious?" She tilts her head at Lizzie. "I'll be taking this."
"What no! That's mine," I argue. "You literally just turned fifteen, missy."
"So?"
"I'm not saying you can't have any, but I was a teenager once too and I'm not letting you drink when you're not around me, so you're not taking it up to your room."

Lizzie laughs at our banter before letting herself in and hanging her coat up.

Chris arrived not long before Annie and Addy did, and eventually the adults took themselves out onto the patio whilst we sat in the living room with a few boxes of pizza. They both had a minor freak out, because yet again I didn't warn them that Chris was Chris Evans nor that Lizzie was Elizabeth Olsen.
I'm a nice friend like that.

Annie was a little more quiet than usual. A lot more quiet actually. The conversation was mainly between Addy and I, even when we tried to include her.

"Annie, are you alright?" I question, concerned for my best friend. "Yeah, I'm good," she nods with a small smile, "I just need to use the bathroom, I'll be back."

"Okay," I smile gently, watching her walk off and upstairs.

"Is she okay? Was she like this at school?" I ask Addy once Annie is out of ear shot. "She was really quiet even though it was just the two of us because obviously Willow's sick," she explains.

"I might go check on her, I'll be back in a few," I decide to which she nods. "I'll be here with my pizza," she smiles.

When I get up to my room, immediately I hear sobbing coming from the bathroom. Never once in my many years of knowing Annie have I heard her cry like this before.