CHAPTER FIFTEEN

STRAITJACKET FEELING

CARLISLE WAS THE ONLY one who stayed calm. Centuries of experience in the emergency room were evident in his quiet, authoritative voice.

"Emmett, Rosalie, get Jasper outside."

Unsmiling for once, Emmett nodded. "Come on, Jasper."

Jasper struggled against Emmett's unbreakable grasp, twisting around, reaching toward his brother with his bared teeth, his eyes still past reason.

Rosalie pulled off of me reluctantly, turning to check me first. Her eyes were pitch black. I couldn't remember the last time I had seen that. They furrowed with worry, but I mouthed 'go', calming down myself. She knew what the understanding in my eyes meant.

Her divine face turned strangely smug, disappearing from in front of me and reappearing down in front of Jasper—keeping a careful distance from his teeth. She helped Emmett wrestle him through the glass door that Esme held open, one hand pressed over her mouth and nose.

Esme's heart-shaped face was ashamed. "I'm so sorry, Bella." She cried as she followed the others into the yard. I was already making my way down the stairs in a scramble to get to my sister's side.

Edward's face was whiter than bone, crouched over my sister in a clearly defensive position. A low warning growl slid from between his clenched teeth as Carlisle approached. I could tell that he wasn't breathing.

"Let me by, Edward." Carlisle murmured.

A second passed, and then Edward nodded slowly and relaxed his stance.

Carlisle knelt down beside Bella, leaning close to examine her arm. I approached gingerly, careful of all the glass in my new heels. Bella's face was still frozen with shock as I crouched at her other side, brushing her hair away from her face with a frown, squeezing her shoulder to anchor her. She had never done well with blood. My voice was low, barely a murmur. "Don't look."

"Here, Carlisle." Alice said, handing him a towel.

I kept my eyes fixed on Bella's, and she stared right back. In my peripheral view, I could see Carlisle shaking his head. "Too much glass in the wound."

He reached over and ripped a long, thin scrap from the bottom of the white tablecloth. He twisted it around Bella's arm above the elbow to form a tourniquet. I could see Bella turning a familiar shade of green.

"Grace." Carlisle said softly. "Do you want me to drive you both to the hospital, or would you like me to take care of it here?"

"Here, please." Bella whispered.

"Charlie will know anyway." I frowned at Bella. "You need stitches."

Bella shook her head, before swaying a little—the movement hadn't done her good. I gripped her shoulder harder, keeping her steady. "Hey, look at me. Look at me Bella. Breathe with your mouth."

"But I can taste it then." She argued weakly. I can't help my soft snort. She was ridiculous.

"I'll get your bag." Alice said.

"Let's take her to the kitchen table." Carlisle said to Edward, and I stood up, getting out of the way.

Edward lifted her effortlessly, while Carlisle kept the pressure steady on her arm. "How are you doing, Bella?"