Afterlife: Mijo

David Kushinada-Martinez

We had spent a night at the Coyote, without the gang this time. Pilar and Rebecca took us.

It was nice, got to chat some more with Jackie, and that V guy told me some stuff he'd seen ever since I was gone.

But, we are home now. And walking through the door, I was greeted with the familiar smells of good food, love, and just... Home.

Lucy was walking in ahead of me, in her normal leotard, but, she was purposely moving her hips more when she walked. I noticed it, and then she noticed.

"I'm gonna go and get washed up, don't come in with me, I want you exactly how you are right now..." She brushed her finger under my chin before grasping my crotch.

"See you soon my love...~"

And just like that, and after a swift peck on my lips, she walked into the shower, throwing her clothes out and sliding the privacy door shut.

I sat on the couch, contemplating the thoughts that raced through my brain.

Remembering what Alt told me. And what Jackie said when I told him.

"David, hold her in your heart, and hold her close, but be strong! Burn as bright as the fire next to you hijo!"

Resting my head back, letting out a sigh of relief to finally be sitting in something comfortable, to have back support.

I had a bottle of that special Jésus tequila, and took a swig.

I was able to swallow it down, thanks to it not being a mouthful of fizzy shit.

And then, I heard a sound outside the door, but couldn't discern whether or not it came from Luce or the front.

Walking to the shower, I could slightly make out Lucy's silhouette, so she was fine. That meant it was the door.

The banging became rapid, so it's probably drunk Pilar or even Rebecca outside, but I would've heard the shouting by now.

Opening the door, I was immediately-

"Oh there you fucking are!"

My ear was immediately snagged and I was dragged back into the apartment.

"The fuck!?-"

"Don't you 'The Fuck!?' me you little shit! Do you know how long I've been looking for you!?"

"Mom I-"

"No! Shut it! Oh you have no idea how angry I am with you Mijo! The fuck were you thinking!? You should've just listened! And now you're dead!"

"I wasn't gonna become a damn corp, mom!"

"You're so lucky you're of age otherwise I'd be whipping the shit out of you, you gonk!"

Mom wrapped me in her arms, clearly angry, but still wanting to embrace me again.

"David, why the fuck didn't you just listen?"

"Couldn't become a corp, so I chipped the sandy... I'm sorry momma... I just... Snapped."

"It's... Ugh, it's fine... Can't say I understand but... I can't be mad. Not forever at least."

She looked towards the shower, noticing Lucy's clothes on the ground.

"What? Do you crossdress now or something?"

"Uh, no, they're-"

And the door slid open, with Lucy standing on the other side with a towel covering her.

"Who the fuck are you cabron?"

"Should be asking the same thing, why're you in our apartment and why the fuck do you have my input's jacket on?"

"Our apartment?"

"Uh... She's my-"

"Fiance... I'm sorry but you still haven't told me who the fuck you are?"

"Fian... Oh no you don't... Not my son!"

"Mom! Let the fuck up! Please!"

She turned to me, with quite possibly the angriest expression I've ever seen.

"Entonces, ¿haces que te maten y luego te casas con un fantasma?"

"We were together before I was fucking dead! Mom! Just calm down and I can explain everything!"

"David... This is Gloria?"

10 minutes.

"So... Tu Luna? Must be special for her to hold such a name."

"Well... I've died for her, so yeah... Yeah she is special to me."

"And why're you here with him? What happened?"

"I uh... Killed... Myself..."

Mom stood herself up, and began yelling at Lucy.

"Oh really!? ¡Maldita puta! ¿¡El sacrificio de mi hijo no fue suficiente!?”

"For fucksake mom! Cut her some slack!"

"Ruining our night in more ways than one..."

Mom's eyes shot open, Lucy made a mistake hinting at our night, bad.

"Oh!? So you come into my son's life, fuck him, get him killed and then off yourself, just so you can fuck him again!?"

"Mom! Seriously, just stop!"

The yelling overwhelmed me, I just had to yell over them, and I managed... managed to grab their attention.

"Mom... Please just let up on her... She's the love of my life! And well, Afterlife... We're having our own little wedding tomorrow for fucksake..."

"Tomorrow? You're... Serious about this?"

"Yes! God, fuck yes!"

"But what if-"

"Mom, there's no ifs or buts on this. I'm serious. I'm finally committed to something, for once... If you don't like it, then don't come, for your sake."

"Are you insane!? Miss my son's wedding? I would never... Not as long as I have breath in my body."

"Your tone sure changed-"

Quickly, I had to zip Luce, make sure she didn't escalate things.

"Lucy. Don't. Please."

She let out a small smile, before resting her hand against mine, a way of saying "Okay David."

"Not the reunion you were expecting?"

Zip it.