Chapter 1

The sky above the clouds shimmered with an ethereal radiance, a falling star trailing light as it crashed into the forest below. The sphere of power expanded, sending shockwaves through the earth and blasts of wind that uprooted and tossed trees in every direction. The explosion was so powerful that it created a crater deep enough that N couldn't see over its rim.

     N stumbled from the center of the newly formed crater, head pounding and legs unsteady. He surveyed the destruction with wide eyes, the enormity of the blast too much for him to comprehend. "Did I...did I do this?" he muttered to himself, as he tried to make sense of what had just happened.

     The full moon cast an eerie glow over the scene, illuminating N's wavy black hair as he gazed skyward. "Where am I?" he wondered, as he took in his unfamiliar surroundings. The sound of a snapping tree branch jolted him from his reverie, and he spun to face the source of the noise.

     Out of the shadows, a bulky figure lunged at him. Without hesitation, N turned and fled, his legs pumping beneath him as he darted through the fallen trees. He could hear the creature chasing him, its heavy footsteps crashing behind him. He twisted and dodged, avoiding collisions with the trees as best as he could.

     N risked a glance over his shoulder, and in the moonlight he saw the creature in pursuit. It was massive, with grey skin and three horns, and it was getting closer. N's breaths came in ragged gasps as he pushed himself to run faster. The creature leapt over him and landed in front, its impact sending N flying backward and slamming into a tree.

     N groaned, feeling pain lance through his shoulder as he crumpled to the ground. The creature approached, growling low in its throat. N pushed himself to his feet, using the tree for support. He could see the creature's attack coming and knew he could not outrun it. He realized that he had to fight if he wanted to survive.

     I can't outrun it this close to me. I have no choice but to fight. N thought.

     There was no other way. The creature charged forward surprisingly fast in an attempt to crush him. He barely leaps out of the way as the creature smashes the tree instead. It came at him again, and N dodged the strike. He couldn't fight back.

     If I get even once, I'm dead, N thought. And judging by the damage the monster causes to the trees around him. All he can do is keep dodging. Maybe it will tire itself out. But that's if the creature can get tired.

     After minutes of avoiding blow after blow. N rolled out of an incoming strike and came to his feet; sweat slid down his head, and strangely he found himself smiling. Heart thundering in his chest, a warm sensation like a fire burning inside him coursing through his veins and muscle.

     It is getting slower. N thought.

     After dodging the monster's assaults, he seems to be adapting to its attack pattern, but its raw strength is something else. As the creature's strikes became slower and more labored, N smiled, a warmth spreading like a fire in his veins. He could feel himself getting stronger with each passing moment, knowing he had a chance to defeat this beast.

     N jumped, avoiding a strike that should've crushed him. He leapt far to the side, skidding on the stone to a stop. Numbly dodging hits that could destroy him, he found himself jumping around, tree to tree, bouncing off the ground from a low crouch, light on his feet with ease. But unfortunately, he was running out of stamina, and that creature looked like it had plenty to spare.

     I have to fight back, he thought.

     N leaps to the side. He landed in a crouch skidding to stop. He was starting to feel sluggish, running out of stamina. He can't keep dodging forever.

     He got into a battle stance. The creature dashed forward and thrust a fist. With renewed energy, N lunged forward, grasping the creature's forward arm and spinning, slamming it down to the ground, the earth cracking beneath them. N leaped backward, flipping in the air as the creature struggled to its feet, growling.

     "Not even a scratch," N breathed in amazement, staring at the beast. 

     The demon charged forward. Fury etched into every line of its twisted form. N sidestepped and moved behind it, kicking its leg with precision. The creature heavily fell on one knee as N moved in for an attack, but the beast spun around and backhanded N across the face. He sailed through the air and crashed through a tree, tumbling to the ground, skidding along the floor on his back a short distance. But he quickly rolled out of the way as the creature crashed feet first on the spot where he had been moments before.

     N felt the burn of adrenaline in his veins as he dodged and weaved, evading the creature's strikes. The demon swung its arms wildly, but N was a blur of motion, slipping past each attack with ease.

     Finally, N struck forward, but the creature caught his hand and punched with its other arm. N grabbed it as well and stepped in, shoving the beast back. They locked eyes, and N saw something there that chilled him to the bone. "Demon," he said, shocked.

     "Would you look at that, you guessed correctly," the demon laughed wickedly.

     N gritted his teeth and pushed back, headbutting the demon and causing it to stumble. He charged forward, attacking with a relentless blur of strikes. The demon fought back, but N was a force to be reckoned with. He landed three quick punches and ducked under a swinging arm, moving to the side and thrusting a fist into the demon's side.

     It groaned as N reared back his fist, teeth gritted and putting every bit of energy he had left into the punch. He slammed his fist into the creature's chest, sending it flying backwards, crashing through trees and leaving a trail of shattered wood in its wake.

     N walked forward, determined to finish the fight and protect others from the demon's wrath. He walked along a path rammed through trees, leaves and twigs crunching beneath his bare feet. Eventually, he arrived at the spot where the demon had landed, but it was too late. The crater was empty, and the demon had escaped.

     N cursed softly, feeling the fire within him waver and dim. Exhaustion washed through him, and he collapsed in a heap, but he knew that this was not the end of the battle. He would be ready next time.

______________________________

___________