Chapter 3

Sunlight peeked through as they journeyed through the forest. The trees looked dead here. Whoever had done this sucked out every bit of life from them, and the deeper they went, the dead their surroundings became. There was not a single healthy tree in these parts. But one tree stood with the other it was a few meters tall and more extensive than any of the trees they had passed.

     "I've never seen such a big tree in my life," Yugo said as he stopped and admired the enormous tree.

     "He's been affected too," Amalia said sadly. Indeed the enormous tree was dull and gray.

     Kaden glances to the side and notices swords and other equipment piled up against a dead. On top of the pile was a bug, but this one was larger than an ordinary one. It looked strange. He knelt and picked it up. Upon closer look, it was not a bug. Instead, the inside was of metal and wires.

     "That machine there," Ruel said, peeking over N's shoulder.

     N turned and showed him the tiny bug.

     "I pulverized one of those back in Emelka."

     The mechanical bug was in pieces, and it wasn't the only one here. There were more of them all around, broken.

     "The good thing about brave adventurers is their pockets are always full of Kamas," Ruel said. The older man was one kneel, packing the fallen adventurer's stuff in his bag.

     Out of the pile, a tree starts to pull out its roots. Branches split, twisting into arms, and roots become legs. The tree creature stomped on Ruel, making the older man back away in fear.

     "Relax!" he tells the monster. "I just hate seeing waste."

     The creature swiped at Ruel. But N came from behind and pulled the older man back by the shoulder, letting the beast swipe empty air.

     "That's what attacked me in the middle of the night!" Percedal shouts, pointing at the creature with his blade.

     "Treechnids," Amalia shouts.

     Soon, more Treechnids appear and march forward. The Treechnids advanced back up them up unto each other, surrounding N and the others from all sides. Fortunately, there weren't as many as the Polters.

     "Set me free, peasant," A voice orders Percedal. "It's your only chance."

     "No, Never again demon!" Percedal said as he held the dagger two-handed.

     Now that N noticed He glanced at the dagger in Percedal's hands. It had an eye on the center of the hilt. The blade shifted and elongated into a sizeable green sword with a white line running along the middle and a spiral at the tip.

     Evangelyne pulled off her coat, revealing a short black dress with a styled brown belt she wore underneath it. She reached to her side a pulled out a small carved wooden stub. She spun the stub around her hard, glowing the wood shifted into a bow. She pulled back the string, and an arrow of yellow radiant energy formed on the bow.

     "Looks like we have no choice but to fight," Ruel exclaims, another Treechnid coming from behind him. "Time to attack."

     "Take one each," Evangelyne said.

     She released a barrage of arrows in quick succession. N froze in fascination. The Treechnid fell full of holes.

     N pulls out the sword from his back, and the Treechnids charge. He shot forward and cleanly divided one of the living trees in a single two-handed swing.