Chapter 1

This house has gone cold. Why was it necessary to grow up sad when we are constantly reminded of being happy as kids?

Staring blankly at an empty table neatly stacked with used plates and cups.

They had their midnight snack last night.

As I walk toward the arch through the kitchen area, I get a sinking feeling in my chest. They left the house in a state of dilemma.

I can't believe they didn't remember that it's my first day of school for the second semester!

Oh please, Audelia. We're so over this. Hindi pa ba sanay? They always forget it and then, I have to understand it... again. It's a never ending cycle, honestly.

I was supposed to be in school at seven-thirty! Because of all this damn chores, I'm thirty minutes late. Mabuti na lamang at hindi masyadong traffic sa daan, because if it is, I am going to have an intense breakdown this early!

Pagbaba ko sa jeep ay agad akong naglakad-takbo papasok sa entrance ng school. I did not forget to greet the guards, they greeted back too.

"Dahan-dahan ka, Audelia! Baka may mabunggo ka!" Paalala ni Sir Crisanto, ang senior guard ng eskwelahan.

Ngumiti na lamang ako sa kaniya bago naglakad-takbong pumunta kung saan ang aming classroom.

"Glad you're here. Oh my gosh! Pinapatawag tayo ni president," lumapit sa akin si Maya para yakapin ako, tanda ng pagbati sa akin sa umaga.

Bago pa patapusin ni Maya ang kaniyang sasabihin ay inunahan ko na siya, "Tayo ang kakausap sa mga transferees. We're also gonna handle their campus tour, meron na ba tayong excuse letter para maibigay sa adviser natin?" Inilahad ko ang aking palad.

"Ang advance mo masyado, Audelia. We're exempted naman, it's the first day! Don't stress yourself." Aniya at tinapik ang aking balikat bago lumabas ng classroom.

Lumapit naman si Genesis sa akin na may hawak na lipgloss. Ilalagay na niya sana ito sa aking labi nang umatras ako sa kaniya.

She pouted. "Please, let me put just a little bit!" She insisted with her puppy eyes.

Hindi na ako nagdalawang isip pa at lumapit na lang sa kaniya. She knows what she's doing, I trust her. But after she finished putting it on my lips, I felt the stinging sensation right away.

Matalim ko siyang tinignan at pinagmasdan ang aking labi sa kaniyang salamin, "Genesis! Tell me what you're putting next time. This shit stings!" Sabi ko at agad na pinunas ang palad ko sa aking labi.

She giggled. "It's plumping lipgloss, Audelia. Baka hindi ka na naman aware! Natural lang tayo dito!" She replied and left me inside.

Pinunas ko muna ang lipgloss na nasa palad ko gamit ang panyo bago ko sundan sina Genesis.

Saktong pagbaba namin ay hudyat ng pagsisimula ng flag ceremony. Agad kaming lumapit kung nasaan ang ibang SSG officers.

"Audelia, after this ceremony, you'll be the one to announce the orientation and campus tour for transferees. Okay?" Bungad agad ng president.

I nodded and took a seat beside her, with Genesis and Maya sitting behind me. We're making plans for the day as we wait for the ceremony to end. The principal tasked us with making the first day of the second semester exciting and memorable. Luckily, there are various organizations here eager to help us with booths and other prerequisites.

"Ready na ba ang english at math org, Maya?" President asked.

"Yes, I told them about their booth last week pa, and they came prepared," Maya simply responded.

When we heard the students clap, I knew it was time to stand up and speak in front of the crowd for our announcement.

A pair of brown eyes darted at me as I stood up and observed the crowd, urging me to look at him for too long. Because of his height, he stands out in this crowd. He looks familiar, and why is he gazing at me?

He is also really good looking.

I wonder where I saw him.

"Ms. Conzalaz? Is there anything from the SSG that you'd like to share with the students?" Tawag pansin ng aming principal sa akin.

I quickly averted my gaze and turned around to face our principal. I simply nodded and walked onto the stage.

I tapped the microphone, which drew some of the students' attention.

"Good morning, ESB students! I'm Audelia Conzalaz, this school year's vice president of SSG, and I'd like to announce some reminders before we embark on another fun school year," I said, looking happy. "All new students and transferees, please form a line next to the SSG officers, and old students, please enjoy the booths from different organizations at the Beatrice Building, thank you!"

Kinausap muna ako ng principal bago ako nakalapit kina Genesis at Maya na kinakausap isa-isa ang mga bagong lipat. Sampu lamang ang mga estudyante kaya hindi na rin mahirap pang asikasuhin.

I was ready to approach the man with whom I had earlier made eye contact pero hinila ako ni Maya palapit sa kanila ni Genesis.

"I thought he's a year older than us, Audelia?!" Natatarantang bulong ni Genesis.

I looked at her, confused. She grunt in frustration at lumapit ulit sa akin para bumulong.

"That tall guy at the back, he's Khalid Salvatore! Kaklase natin siya!" Genesis added.

I looked at her, then at Salvatore, who had been looking at us with only his serious face and no emotions!

Kaya pala pamilyar ang mukha niya. Hindi ko siya namukhaan kaagad dahil na rin nag-iba ang itsura niya. He used to be quite slender, with shiny hair that looked like Jimmy Neutron's.

But now, he's different.

Really different.