Ch. 29 ~ Aftermath

*Dedicated to Natascha van Gaal, Ardhoniel Maetharanel Madhámar, & Claire Graf*

The sun was up as I walked around and took in the carnage of the aftermath of this battle. I paid little attention to the dead Uruk-Hai but the dead elves and men; some no older then children affected me greatly.

Legolas and the others were down on the ground still making bets on who won as the king was congratulated on a successful victory. Meanwhile, I made my way to the wall where most of my brethren lay slain. Something was pulling me there; I did not know what.

As I gingerly stepped over the bodies, I stopped dead in my tracks. I had to blink a few times to make sure I was really seeing what I thought I was. As a feeling of dread and denial washed over me, I suddenly realized what the pain in my chest had been earlier.

There, among his own soldiers, lay Haldir, his eyes open and unseeing. I drew in a sharp breath and ran to him, tripping over my own feet as I went. As I reached him, I heard a sound so feral and carnal, I had no idea where it came from until I realized it had come from my own mouth, deep inside my chest; my very heart and soul.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Haldir!!! NOOOOOO!!!

The scream that came out of me was so bloodcurdling and visceral that it sounded like it came out of a wounded animal on its last death throes. I collapsed and dragged his head and body into my lap; he was already cold......so so cold. I rocked back and forth holding his head and face pressed against my bosom; willing life back into his body.

As I continued to wail tortured tears, footsteps rushed towards me and stopped a few feet away. Legolas had scrambled to me as soon as he first heard my howl of pain. The tears streamed down my face and dripped in a flood all over his hair as I refused to let Haldir go.

The others watched in awe as they have never seen or heard an elf cry or mourn so loudly. I did not care who saw me. He was all mine and I would never let him go. How could this have happened? He was a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield. He taught me to fight from an early age. How could things have gone so horribly wrong? Gimli being slightly confused, turned to Legolas and asked:

"But I thought she was betrothed to you laddie?" Legolas nodded sadly and then replied quietly:

"He was like a non-blooded older brother to her. He was her kin. They loved each other like brother and sister. Imagine losing that." The others nodded in understanding then.

"Go to her, Legolas; she needs you." Gimli said wisely then as Legolas slowly approached me.

He sank to his knees then and took me in his arms as everyone watched with sadness. He rocked me back and forth as I continued to moan and whisper:

"La tolo dan, tolo dan (please come back; bring him back)."

I brought my tear stained face then to meet my beloved's and he shook his head meaning he could not bring him back. I continued to sob uncontrollably in Legolas' arms as Mithrandir came up to us, bent over, and with his hand closed Haldir's eyes forever as I watched.

"And herein passes brave Captain of the Galadhrim, March Warden of Lothlorien, Haldir son of Orodreth. May his soul find peace in the halls of his ancestors." He said then looking at me kindly as I keened for him until I was hoarse.

I regained Mithrandir after thinking he was lost to me forever only to lose Haldir for eternity. But that is when I remembered something vitally important and stood up unsteadily on my feet weaving as Legolas lay Haldir's body back on the ground and helped me up.

As I used a kerchief I always had with me to wipe my face of tears, I noticed Aragorn step forward and drop to his knees before me, his head bowed. I looked at him puzzled as he began to speak: