Ch. 7 ~ Haldir

I tried writing a few more letters of my own to Legolas but got nothing in return. My fears, it seemed were realized. But at the moment I had no time to dwell on my love falling apart as I threw myself fully into researching the dark evil that was slowly drawing nearer across our land. I barely left the library except to eat and sleep. Everyone was worried about me but I brushed them off. To keep them away from me with questions, I would quell their worries by going for rides on Sunset. I would often ride out to where Legolas and I would meet in hopes that perhaps some miracle transpired and he would be there. But alas, my hopes were futile for he disappeared back to the mystical realm he originally came from. With an even heavier heart I would ride back to Rivendell and disappear without a word into my own wing.

          One day, I decided to ride toward the forest and nearly collided with Mithrandir or Gandalf the Grey (I referred to him by both names) on his steed Shadowfax. He was riding with a purpose toward some unknown location; he looked rather worried but stopped his horse and bowed to me. I brushed that away as I was not into the royal pontification. Gandalf stared at me for a few moments and then gently asked:

"Is everything alright, princess?"

"Please call me Hedraliel. Arwen is the real princess. I am not used to it." I said with a shrug as his old wise eyes settled upon me.

"But you are a princess of both Rivendell and Lothlorien. That is not something the lands are used to. It is quite a high honor; you must never forget it. It will serve you well someday." I did not say anything but then decided to ask him the question that was haunting me for some time now.

"Mithrandir, who or what is the Necromancer?" He looked shocked at the word or that I knew it.

"How do you know about that?"

"The eve you all gathered at Rivendell, the same time the dwarves were there, Arwen and I overheard snippets of your conversation." I looked down.

"So you were eavesdropping, were you?" He sounded slightly annoyed but worried at the same time. I jerked my head up and looked him in the eye.

"No we were not. We heard voices and looked down to see you all at the council table. I never told Arwen but the sword you pulled out, whispered that word to me. It made us both feel physically unwell. We went inside shortly after that. I have been spending a lot of time researching everything I could about it and have come up with nothing in relation to the Necromancer. What does that mean?" I asked without blinking as Gandalf exhaled slowly.

"Sadly, it means it is connected to you now."

"Connected how?" I asked a little worried and yet curious.

"That is what I am trying to find out. I have been summoned to the old ruins of Dol Guldur by Radagast and am on my way there now. Whatever you do princess, do not face this alone. This is the kind of evil not messed without severe repercussions." He said worriedly.

"I shall not. Dol Gulder has been abandoned for eons." I said.

"Not anymore. Something is there. Something that has found a way to exist and grow in strength." He explained.

"And you believe it is the Necromancer, whatever that may be."

"That I do, my child." He said kindly.

"But, if you are headed there now, it is a trap Gandalf. Please do not go. I beseech you." I said pleadingly. I just felt in my heart of hearts, this would not go well.

"I must my dear girl. It is the only way. Please tell your aunt when you see her next that we had spoken. Though she probably already foresaw it. You are now connected to this happening; through no fault of your own. But it seems that you may have to step into battle when the time comes. Will you be ready for that?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.