9

Barely an hour had passed since Nadja knocked out. Konig sat at one of the small tables near the entrance of the restaurant, shotgun leaned against it as he kept a strict eye on the door keeping watch like a guardian over his recovering comrade.

But from the cracked door, just as Konig looks away for a moment, he hears a creak. His attention whips back ahead where he finds the door wide open. He reaches for his shotgun, hand wrapped around the barrel ready to snatch it, when he suddenly notices a small creatures silhouette rubbing against the edge of the doorframe.

He relaxes his shoulders, looking through his furrowed brows curiously as the figure finally walks into the dim light, exposing itself as a small tuxedo cat.

His curious eyes fell into awe as he looks across the short distance to the cats small face brushing against the door, looking directly to him as if to call for his attention. Slowly, he leaves his shotgun and stands, walking for the cat who leads him back outside onto the street. He couldn't take his attention off the cat, its dirty black and white fur as it pranced down the street and into an alley.

Konig giggles as the cat stops just before entering the dark alley, looking back at him with an expectancy for him to follow. He does so obediently, finding the cat sitting patiently for him with its nose in the air, eyes squinting as it lets out a loud purr. Konig squats, removing his glove and exposing his hand as he reaches out, letting the cat sniff his fingers before bumping its head into them.

A calming sense of joy overcame Konig as he brushes the top of the cats soft head, its purring easing his anxiety. It approaches closer, standing between Konig's squatting legs as it brushes against him. He finally sits, leaning against the wall with his legs down as the cat hops into his lap.

"A girl, huh?" Konig whispers aloud as he strokes his hand down the cats back.

As he tilts his head, admiring the cat as she spreads her fur all over his uniform, he notices her attention suddenly taken as she perks up, her ears standing straight with a slight twitch as she looks up the entrance of the alley. He continues to pet her, but turns his head, watching the street with sharp ears, where he finally hears footsteps approaching.

In fear, the cat suddenly jumps off his lap, standing aside him with a worry-stricken expression. Konig lets out a sigh, upset at the interruption. He brings himself to his feet, slipping his hand back into the glove as he looks back to the cat one last time, then walking for the entrance of the passage.

He stops just before it ends, hiding in the shadows as he listens, the footsteps gaining closer until they finally pass, unsuspecting of the large man watching them as the three AQs walk by. His eyes follow as they make approach to the pile of corpses him and Nadja left, anticipating their notice.

They make sudden halt, one pointing out the bloodshed and death as they frantically look to one another, then around the area. They begin spreading out, shouting to one another in Arabic as Konig watches one stepping too close to the restaurant.

He leaves the shadows, walking behind them concealing his footsteps while keeping tall. His attention kept strictly to the one approaching the door harboring his comrade, an evil eye glaring through the menacing hood. He jumps behind the armored truck parked just across it, hiding his presence from the other two AQs as he walks down the side of the vehicle, watching as the mans hand reaches for the doorknob.

Without hesitation, as the soldier makes contact with the door, he swiftly pulls his knife from its sheathe, throwing it full force and stabbing the man in the neck. He lets out a short quiet yelp just before Konig snatches him behind the vehicle, holding his hand over his mouth as he rips the knife from his flesh, quietly dropping his body onto the cement as he bleeds out.