~Drain Spear Slash!~

"So far, these are the standings." Kris pointed at the tv screen that showcased our overall scores as of now in the tournament.

"We've got Valt with one win and one loss, Cuza with two losses, and Free and Ally with two wins." She summarised quickly as we observed the screen with her.

Shasa beside me offered a high five which I gladly indulged in. A quiet murmur fell over the group as they discussed the scores.

"Huh, two losses." Cuza said sadly. Kris smiled slightly at him.

"Cheer up, Cuza. You still have a chance to win!" That immediately got the boy back in high spirits somehow.

On my other side was Free. He hadn't said a word to anyone since he walked in which confused me a little, but he still stood next to me and, unfortunately for my heart, hooked his pinky onto mine which eased my worries.

"Do we know the lineup for Round 3?" Shasa asked excitedly and Kris nodded.

"Yup! It looks like Valt will be up against Norman Tarver."

"Norman Tarver?" Valt put a finger to his chin in thought along with Taro and Kit.

"Hm...who was that again?"

"No idea." With that conversation swiftly ended, Kris continued.

"Cuza will be facing Shu Kurenai, or as you previously knew him, Red Eye." The boy jumped and somehow found his way over to me. I let out a small yelp as he hid behind my back from the news.

"You're kidding? That guy?" I smiled fondly at the boy behind me before patting his head with my free hand.

"You'll be fine."

"I'll lose!" He insisted.

"Only if you believe you will." I chuckled matter-of-factly.

"And finally," Kris spoke again. "Ally will be facing off against Free." Now that truly got the room into shambles. The murmur quickly turned into a mixed chatter.

"What?! No way!" I was surprised that the lollipop in Taro's mouth didn't drop. I looked over at my opponent and felt our intertwined pinkies tighten subconsciously from both sides.

He simply smiled at me before intentionally squeezing my finger one more time and turning to leave.

"Let's have a good battle, Ally." He waved from over his shoulder as I nodded even though he most definitely wouldn't have seen it.

"Yeah."

~~~

"Maybe I should put my faith in Valt instead." Brie put a finger to her chin in thought, completely ignoring my frustrated mumbling.

"Don't give up on me!" I wailed at her.

"I've trained with Free loads of times! And I've won a few battles too!" I offered all kinds of reassurance but she still looked playfully doubtful.

"Hmm, yeah. Valt it is." She started walking away but I lunged for her coat.

"Oh, c'mon! I'm not completely hopeless! I just need a strategy. Like I did with Lui!" I pleaded with her and she finally stopped in her tracks.

Her expression was thoughtful as I stood up and got ready for a battle. She raised an inquisitive eyebrow at my actions.

"Seriously? Lui is easy to mimic. I've watched him battle back in Japan almost a thousand times. Shu...is easy for me as well. But you expect me to provide you with training that will prepare you for the top blader in the world?" She scoffed. I doubled over in surprise.