au

BEFORE U READ!!

this is based on the book/movie five feet apart so this will have spoilers for it

for context two ppl with cystic fibrosis(look it up) cant be within six feet of each other due to the risk of spreading deadly bacteria and stuff to the other person(actually true you can look it up),, this also takes place after a lung transplant

so think of it as a hospital au that's rlly fucking depressing😘

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blinding lights fill Sayaka's vision, but after taking a moment for her eyes to adjust after hours under anesthesia, she could make out a familiar figure from behind the glass wall that separated her hospital room from the outside.

Kirari.

The woman gives her a gentle smile, "I've finally got you speechless, my Sayaka," her voice flows through her mother's phone speaker.

The younger girl gasps quietly, muffled slightly by the ventilator tube placed in her mouth. She looks down at the pile of drawings placed in her lap by one of her nurses, the realization that Kirari is leaving her crashing over her.

Desperate violet eyes snap up once more to meet Kirari's adoring blue. The woman's manicured hand presses against the glass, inviting Sayaka's to do the same. The girl's hands press together as if nothing were separating them at all.

Sayaka's teary eyes plead with the older girl to stay with her.

Kirari seems to notice as her expression shifts to apologetic, opening her mouth to speak once more, "My love, are you at all familiar with the phrase 'you have to love someone enough to let them go'?"

The latter's vision begins to blur.

Kirari sighs deeply before continuing, "I've always thought that was so foolish," she laughs sadly, "but then I saw you on the brink of death and.... I want you to live."

Sayaka can tell that the older girl is fighting back tears of her own, pressing her hand harder against the glass.

"However, that just can't happen unless you're safe, safe from me," she trails off, swallowing hard, "Just trust when I say I would never want to leave you, but I love you too much to stay."

The younger girl's will to fight the inevitable begins to dwindle, muffled sobs escaping her lips.

"Sayaka," Kiari starts, a single tear rolling down her pale cheek, "I love you."

"I love you too," Sayaka wants to scream.

"Now, could you please close your eyes for me dear?" she whispers through the phone, "You know I can't walk away knowing that you're watching."

The younger girl shakes her head defiantly, knowing that once she opens her eyes again, Kirari will be gone.

"Please."

More choked sobs escape Sayaka as she relents, shutting her eyes despite the agony.

After a moment, they reopen, and she notices a cloudy spot on the glass, a final kiss from Kirari.