A Glimpse of the Devil's Past

Niragi hadn’t always been a psychotic little shit. After all, what child is born a rage-filled killer? (Unless you watch the Netflix documentaries about children that are rage-filled killers, but that’s neither here nor there).

The point is, Niragi hadn’t always been the way that he is today. And while Niragi may not have been born a psychopath, issues for him did start early on.

Some would even say that he was born under an evil star, destined to live a hard and desperate life. Whether he truly did have a curse on him or not didn’t really seem to matter to the other people in the Family, he was feared anyway.

It could be because of this belief that Niragi grew to be the way he was. Perhaps he truly was born to be a murderous and dangerous lunatic.

Or perhaps.. perhaps it all started with his mother.

*

Jaqueline Niragi, a very beautiful but very cruel and very spoiled woman, was born the only child of the Niragi Family. Her mother having died in childbirth and her father never remarrying.

Her father was a hard man who ruled the Family with an iron fist. Jaqueline was raised with her father having one goal in mind, for Jaqueline to someday succeed the metaphorical throne to the clan.

As customs had it, however, the Niragi Family could only be passed down through the male lineage and so, Jaqueline’s father forced her to marry.

The man she married was practically the spitting image of her when it came to actions and personality, only…he was worse, much worse. Where Jaqueline was cruel, her husband evil. Where Jaqueline was spoiled, her husband took whatever he wanted, no matter who got hurt in the process, consequences be damned.

It was a loveless and hate-filled marriage that resorted in Niragi’s conception.

When Niragi was close to turning one year old, his grandfather decided to retire, allowing his parents to step us as joint Heads of the Family.

That was shortly before his mother decided to gift him with a dead father for his first birthday. A police investigation had been done concerning the missing man, yet nothing came to fruition from it and Jaqueline was free to reign solely.

Jaqueline had never been one to show love through physical contact. Up until the day she died she had hugged Niragi precisely one time throughout his entire life even as an infant.

That one singular time was the day that his Grandfather passed away. To the onlookers it probably seemed as though it was a fond embrace between a mother and son, overwrought with grief. Instead, Jaqueline had pulled her son against her, tightly held onto him and whispered “It’s finally mine.”

If Jaqueline excepted a lot out of those who worked for her, she expected even more from her only son, the only one that she would allow to take over the Family in her stead, never for s second entertaining the thought of the Minor Family taking over.

She started training Niragi from a very young age.

How to act, how to speak, how to eat, how to barter, how to bully, how to lie, how to fight, how to torture and eventually even how to kill.

When he would fail in his lessons or simply not do as well she Jaqueline expected, that’s when the beatings would happen. She would often force Niragi to sit on his knee on a board of pebbles where she would then begin to whip him. “Be stronger." "Be faster." "Be wiser." “Be better” she would often screech at him, one word for every lash of the whipping cord.

Niragi learned early to hold in his tears and his pain because he knew that if his mother noticed even a glimmer of weakness then the punishments would be so much worse.

He was almost a year old when she killed his father.

He was four years old the first time she slapped him.

He was ten years old the first time she truly beat him.

He was fourteen ears old the first time she broke one of his bones.

He was eighteen years old when she locked him a room with the
man the Family used to torture people.

He was twenty years old when he was finally able to hide any semblance of emotion while being tortured.

He was twenty-three years old when his mother declared him fit to be over the Family someday.

He was twenty-three years old when his mother died of mysterious circumstances.

He was twenty-three years old when he became Head of the Family.