Just Like Me

Hi guys! This is the first author's note I'm doing, and I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is liking the story so far, as I would love to hear some feedback.

Anyway-

BACK TO THE STORY

I'd been walking in the jungle for a while, crying like an idiot. I couldn't believe Ben could act like that, especially toward Bumpy.

I get it he was upset but did he really have to say those things? I thought things changed between us since the fight back in the kayak, but maybe I was wrong.

Even though I hated Ben for what he did, I thought about going back. The sky was starting to turn grey, and the wind was becoming much stronger. I was mad at Ben, but I didn't want to be caught in a thunderstorm without shelter. 

I sighed as I turned around, going to walk back to camp. Only when I turned around, I did not see the camp, I did not see my tree, and I did not recognize where I was.

I turned around in another direction, but it was the same thing. I turned in circles as I tried to find anything that would point me to camp. But as I found nothing, a realization hit me. I was lost.

I didn't mean to go so far into the jungle, I was just upset at Ben. The panic of being lost didn't help that a loud thunderclap smacked my eardrums into a ringing noise.

I covered my ears, shutting my eyes closed as the ringing noise slowly died down. I looked up, seeing rain slowly start to patter down. 

The gentle rain soon became violent, as the water started to feel like rocks hitting my head. I turned around, choosing a random direction as I began running that way. 

I didn't want to get caught in a storm, and I for sure wasn't going to go looking for Ben like this. I just needed to find cover till the storm calmed down.

I used my hand to block my eyes from the rain as I looked around. Water splashed under my feet as I kept running, desperately searching for cover.

Somehow, in the distance, I spotted a cave. I picked up my pace, running inside as I escape the cold harsh rain.

Just as I thought I could relax, I hear a loud screech echoing from the cave. I look to the side, discovering a pteranodon next to me. I fell backward, slamming onto the cave ground as I slowly backed away. Its loud screech rang through my ears like lightning.

I flinch as I see it begin to move, covering my face with my arm. But for some reason, the loud jarring screech died down into one of gnawing aches.

I slowly opened my eyes, watching the pteranodon waddle in pain. It leaned against the cave walls, staring at me as its body breathed shakily.

I lowered my arm, watching the creature closely. If it was going to eat me, it would have already, so why was it just staring at me? I looked down at the creature's wing, discovering a large open wound.

I was straight, perfectly cut. It was too perfect to have been an accident, this was definitely from an attack.

The pteranodon continued to stare at me, its body rising and falling. From the painful look in his eyes and the wheezing in his breath, you would think he was harmless. 

But I'd seen what pteranodons were like before. They were violent and vicious creatures, hunting in groups like fish.

Yet I stood frozen despite every reason I should run out of the cave. I wasn't frozen because I was scared, or because I didn't know what to do.

I stood frozen because I had a choice. I spent forever watching dinosaurs be mindless meat-eating monsters. But for the first time, it didn't feel like that.