01

Disclaimer : There will be spoilers ahead for the manga

1:37 a.m.

Was the current time that flashed on the display screen of the clock. Flicking your eyes to read the time, you rubbed her eyes tiredly. 6 hours of studying, yet it felt like no information had seeped into you brain. What a bummer, and you had an important midterm exam to take in the morning.

Letting out a small yawn, you laid your head on the desk, staring at the worksheets sprawled out on the desk in dismay. The bright light of the laptop that had notes displayed on flashed at you. Exhaustion riddled up in your bones, and even lifting up your head felt like a chore on its own.

"Dang it..maybe I should call in sick tomorrow. Nothing is working, heh..."

You muttered, before pausing as a thought filled your head.

"But then again, my studying would go to waste.."

Perhaps having some fresh air to clear your head would be the trick. Then your brain might finally get its gears working again to resume studying.
You hummed, satisfied with this thought.

Standing up from your chair, you stretched your body that had already went numb after sitting down for god knows how long. You grabbed your phone and went to the balcony of your flat, stepping out.

The sudden buzz of your phone caught you off guard, and you switched your attention to your phone, wondering what the notification was about.

Ah, it was the notification of an update of a current manga that you were binge reading for the past few days — Oshi No Ko. Why manga, you may ask. Were you an anime otaku? Well, sort of. You were currently a busy and broke college student, studying hard for exams and tests. Your parents were constantly out on business trips due to their work, which leaves you to enjoy the peace and freedom of having the apartment to yourself. Though it was admittedly a bit lonely without them, you learned to enjoy it. Having a part time job of being a Starbucks worker as well as a full time college student leaves you with little alone time for yourself, so you learnt to treasure these little moment of doing things that made you happy. Like reading manga, or writing your short stories. Even playing video games!

Being sort of? A writer yourself who writes short stories for yourself to enjoy, you like reading mangas, as most good mangas really brings out the complexity and depth of each plot, as well as having the characters beautifully written.  When a death of a character is able to make the reader cry, that's how you know that the character is well written.

Back to the current situation at hand, you clicked open the notification and read the newest chapter of Oshi no ko on shounen jump. Despite not living in Japan, you were still able to catch all the latest updates without waiting for the translation of the manga — it was at times like this were you really grateful for having a Japanese mother. The pain of learning kanji, hiragana and katakana as a child finally paid off.

Your eyebrows furrowed, upon reading the newest chapter. So that was Aqua's master plan. Damn you, aqua!

Reaching the end of the chapter, you hummed thoughtfully, analysing the chapter in your mind. Maybe the reason why you were immediately hooked on this manga ever since finding it on mangadex.com was due to the beautifully written and crafted plot, showing the behind the scenes of the entertainment industry. It was realistic with a hint of action and perhaps romance. The art of Oshi no Ko was also pretty amazing.

Putting your phone back into your pocket with a satisfied hum, you rested against the railing and looked at your neighbourhood. Though you lived at the fourth floor, the view was still pretty nice. The city far ahead was still brimming with life, having bright lights that lit up in the night.

You weren't close to your parents, and you had no social skills to strike up a conversation and make friends. You've basically been a background character all your life, and hell, you just can't find the confidence to do things that you actually wanted to do in fear of disapproval from others. Heck, you only went to study law because your parents told you to do so! Screw law, you just wanted to lead a life of being a writer or a florist or something! Something that you were good at, something you actually liked to do!

But you believed in patience. Life works in many strange ways, and you trust that the world would eventually find something for you.

Admiring the night sky, you smiled serenely. You were feeling a lot better now. Until something caught your eye all of a sudden. There was a bright star that adorned the sky, brimming with life, as if it was lighting the night sky with its shine.

You squinted your eyes as you stared at it.

"Has that star always been there? I swear I've never seen such a bright star in my life. Probably due to light pollution these days." You muttered, chuckling at the last part.

Your eyelids felt heavy now. Huh, the universe is really telling you to go to sleep. You pulled out your phone, and realised that it was 1:50 a.m.
Yep, it was really late. And you should sleep. Giving in into your body's need for sleep, you went back into your room and belly flopped on your bed, yawning. Guess you'll just pack your bag for school in the morning.

Placing your phone on your bed, your eyelids dropped and darkness took over, lulling you into dreamland almost instantaneously.

Thunder sounded in the distance outside. Unaware to your blissfully sleeping self, your phone rested on your bed, it's screen still on. The Lock Screen suddenly changed its display into lastest chapter of Oshi No Ko that you just read.
It wouldn't turn off.
____

You awoke to sharp ringings in your ear. You could hear panicked scream from others outside the house. Your vision was blurry as your rolled out of bed, pulling open the curtains to see what the commotions was about. The sight of buildings crashing like domino's greeted your eyes.

God. It was an earthquake.

Quickly entering flight or fight mode, you crawled under your desk and crouched down, one hand holding the desk's legs for your dear life while your other hand pressed on your ear, trying desperately to stop the sharp ringing that just wouldn't go away. A flurry of emotions could be felt, as you looked around. And you realised..

No one came to find you.

They all forgot about you.

What did you expect, you were just a side character in this life. You chuckled bitterly to yourself. Nevermind that now, you had to try to survive this earthquake thing. Was it even an earthquake? You weren't sure.

The ringing in your ear just got louder as you shifted slightly under your desk. You shut your eyes, hoping for the sound to go away. After what seemed like an eternity, the ground finally felt like it stopped shaking. Was it safe now? You wondered, as you crawled out from under the desk and stood up. Perhaps it was due to that did you suddenly feel a wave of nausea and dizziness overcoming you, and you desperately tried to grasp your desk for support. It was too no avail, as your hands slipped and you fell on the floor with a thud.

You could feel your eyelids closing again, but you tried desperately to stay awake. Your brain was in a frenzy, and your body was seemingly shutting down. The ground suddenly started rumbling again, your pillows and objects on your desk falling from their original positions due to the vibrations.

The memories of your family flooded through your mind, as your life flashed before your eyes.
Too tired to think anything, your body shut downed. The last thing you saw was blackness engulfing you.