Too On Fleek, Ability Wise

Huuuuuuuuh

So much; this happens so much.

These characters are also known as Mary Sues. You've all heard of them.

A while back I read certain Naruto fanfic (once again, you don't have to know what Naruto is to understand). It's one of the most popular Sasuke love stories around. 

The main character was way, way, WAY  too powerful to be even close to realistic. If you know Naruto, take every single ability you know of; sharingan, byukugan, rinnegan, Orochimaru's curse marks, out-of-this-world kekkei genkai and every nature type for Jutsus out there and put them in one person. Times that by a million and you have the protagonist.

If you don't know Naruto, picture a member of the Justice League with every single member's powers in one. Or the Avengers, or an elf-dwarf-orc-wizard-ent-hobbit-goblin hybrid. Take any large amount of powers and put it in one person and you have the typical mistake of often, first time Authors.

Now obviously this makes for a very entertaining book in some aspects, but is tedious in others. No one wants to read a book where some ho takes down a bigbad in two seconds flat. A tiny girl (with most likely the bosom of Pamela Anderson, ass of Queen Kim K and past of the saddest person alive) kicking the booties of Kakashi Sensei or Solomon Grundy or Red Hulk or Voldemort or Vilgax or Megatron or the Indominus Rex is so unrealistic that people will read it for a good laugh.

Do you want your book the be the next My Immortal? Do you?

Writing a powerful character is fine. Absolutely fine. But unless it's vital to the story that they're also immortal and the God of Gods, allow yourself to write of their vulnerability.

And by vulnerability I don't mean; "She might be all powerful, but her weaknesses are her emotions."

Blegh. No. 

I mean what are their fears? What gets them on edge? Everyone is afraid of something. Dark experiences create a darkness within us. Heights, animals, colours, features.

I have severe coimetrophobia after attending the New Zealand version of a funeral. It's a chronic fear and anytime I'm within 200m of a c•m•tary or a c•ffin I become physically ill.

I also have mild podophobia. Keep those buns away from me bitch.

Some of my friends have the weirdest fears. Dogs, Khloe Kardashian's face (see above :3), flies, yoghurt. 

BACK TO THE POINT. Everyone has a weakness. Allow your characters to be vulnerable. Allow them to be afraid, or discouraged. Because that creates something everyone can relate to. It means anything could happen at any moment.

It makes it real. 

So yes. Mary Sue's that are powered to the point of over-the-top-pointlessness are characters that will make your story popular for all the wrong reasons, or give you very little attention.

A Mary Sue can also occur in terms of looks and luck, which I will bring up in another rant.

Hope you can (but can't) relate to this one! 

Last of all; Kaido, are you guilty of this?

Probably in my earlier stuff. Lately my characters are so messed up...like, mentally.

Love you all,

Stay magical!Be safe.

-Kaido Xx