Chapter One

TRANSPARENCY

A passion is like a relationship, and a dream like a lovechild. Together with passion - from the moment of it's conception you raise that dream, and watch it turn either to dust or reality; this is true of all those with ambition, but it's especially true for athletes.

Our passion is a violent fire that burns out nearly as quickly as it begins. Time lends you a decade - maybe two if you're lucky - and though they are not without blemish, you look back on that time fondly, lament when it's over, and mourn for the dreams that died young and beautiful.

For now though, my dream is still very much alive, stationed at the breeding ground for all dreams like it: MIAPS - the Maradonna International Academy of Performance Sports. Footballers, gymnasts, sprinters, dancers... if you look at the top athletes in these fields you'll find a common thread between them, and it's this alma mater.

We function differently to typical schools; the curriculum here is designed to make us reach the limits of our potential, and then surpass them. Whatever standards may be expected from us, aren't nearly as high as those which we hold ourselves to - and though we may not have an education in the traditional sense, the lessons we learn are far more important than anything you learn in maths or english; they apply to every aspect of life, and they stay with us forever.

4 years of hard work had led me to my 5th and final year at the academy. 4 years of training until my body bled; 4 years of being top of my class; 4 years of late nights and late rehearsals. 5th year was meant to be the pinnacle of your career at MIAPS, where you debuted into the professional sports world and reap the fruits of your labour - but fate had other plans in store for me, and as I readied myself to return to school, it became poignantly clear that the harvest was not in my favour.

As usual, before summer break, the ballet department put on their end of year production.  It was unprecedented for someone other than a 5th year to be given a principal role, but  because of equal parts raw talent and dedication, they gave me the opportunity a year early.  

On the final night of my Clara turn in 'The Nutcracker' an unfortunate accident in the pas de deux resulted in an early curtain call and a show-stopping injury.  I hadn't danced in months and I didn't know if I ever would again.

Dance is a form expression; so when I hurt my body it's not just my body I hurt - but my entire soul. I found myself crushed and dejected, in every aspect of my life, and on the verge of leaving the life I knew at MIAPS behind.  Honestly, sitting outside of the main school office on the first day, I wasn't sure why I even came back.  I suppose some morsel of guilt or nostalgia that I still clung to had bound me to the place; god only knows how fast they were fading with every second I spent in this room of parquet floors and painted ceilings.

"So, Ronen; we've got you in French and Biology.  For now, maybe help with warmups and choreo in ballet and we can ease you back into it when your leg is better."

After I dropped off my stuff in my dorm room I was called into the main school office to discuss my plan for the year.  Now that I was injured, it wasn't as easy as just giving me a time-table, and they had had to make a few changes to adjust to the situation.

"I think I'll pass on that Madame Annette." I said, leaning on the wooden bar of the office kiosk.  "I'll go to the gym instead.  Do some physio exercises, you know, make sure i'm fully recovered."

Madame Annette shot me a dubious gaze; she and I both knew i'd been given clearance to dance again weeks ago from my doctor - by all accounts I should have at least been at the barre running through positions and pliés - but seeing as when I initially became injured I had threatened to leave the school entirely, she probably knew better than to force me into something against my will.