Chapter Three

AND SO WE DANCE

The night of the party was one of the worst nights of my life. The decision to go was a whim, and I stumbled more than one time making myself up and making my way there; wondering whether I should just stay at home. Nevertheless, I put on my little black dress; I straightened my hair, I crept down the hallway in my high heels - down the stairs, out of the boarding houses and into the night.

Maddie and Jojo had left about half an hour before me, and informed me that the party was in the 'usual place'. The good thing about schools as big as MIAPS, is that the staff can't be everywhere. One of the points furthest from the main school building is the storage house for the athletics equipment - of course, there are hurdles and batons and javelins that clutter up the space; but there's more than enough room left for us to throw ourselves a hell of a party.

I arrived to find the room decked with streamers, red cups, rows upon rows of shots and table football. I almost felt like Alice, falling down the rabbit hole. Alas, my efforts to go undercover weren't as good as my skills of deduction, and my old friends spotted me the instant I stepped into the room.

"Ronen, you came!"

Jojo was vibrant, in pink hot pants and a rainbow crop top. Her signature high pony swayed side to side as she ran towards me.

"You look great J." I said, smiling.

"So do you!" She replied, beaming. "Come on, everyone will be psyched to see you here."

Grabbing my arm she dragged me over to the far right corner of the room where a group of familiar faces were sat on high jump mats.

"Hey girl!" Maddie greeted, jumping off her seat to give me a hug. "You look hot!"

"Thanks..."

"Yo, is that Ronen Moran?"

I peaked around Maddie's shoulder to see who had asked the question, and, as it turned out, the voice belonged to a tall blonde, Derek.

"Yeah, it's me."

"Yo.... that's crazy... where have you been?"

"Shut up, Derek." Jojo said, rolling her eyes. "Sober up before you ask any more questions, okay?"

"Hey Maddie, do you know where the Doritos went?"

That voice, I didn't even need to see to identify. The owner was the person who threw this party. Miles Erlick.

"No, but I think Nia had them last I saw." Maddie turned to her side. "Mack do you know where she is?"

Mackenzie, Maddie's sister, shook her head. "She might be with João."

"João?" I asked.

Everyone seemed to get uneasy at my question, and Maddie's eyes darted murderously to her sister. "Mack." She hissed.

"Wait hold on a minute..." Miles turned around to face me. "RONEN MORAN!?"

"Yeah it's me..."

"Bro!" He spread his arms out before throwing them around me in a suffocating hug. "I thought you were dead!"

I could smell the alcohol on his breath, so I supposed I could attribute his strange version of events to the inebriation... that being said, even sober Miles had never been the sharpest tool in the shed.

"Well here I am, alive and kicking." I somehow forced out through a strained breath; thankfully, Miles seemed to take the hint and let me go not too long after.

"I miss you at dance, girl. Bar talk is not the same without you, and I'm next to Nia now during warm-up which is like... super annoying cause all she talks about is João, all the time."