Christmas - Christmas for the hurting

The people walking in darkness will see a great light.
Upon those dwelling in the land of the shadow of death, light will shine.
Isaiah 9:1 TLV, also in Matthew 4:16

Christmas and the December holiday season is a time where we call everyone to come together and celebrate, and that's a good thing. Yes, it is good and proper for Christians to celebrate Jesus' birth and have it as a festive moment, but sometimes it feels like there's this cultural/societal expectation that forces us to be happy during this time of the year.

And to be honest, I'm not happy, at least not on December 2022. And I can't be alone - how many people are either alone, or are reflecting on broken families and friendships, or are overworked, or driven into some sort of cynicism. Trauma, stress, or melancholy can take multiple forms, but it hurts all the more to feel like we've been left out of the party.

And so, if you feel like you're this person, I offer you this: this Christmas, and for all Christmases, you are not alone, and you are not left out. In fact, in the very context of Christmas itself, it's people like you and me who God pays attention to in particular.

To internalize this joy in the middle of our struggles, it's important to understand the true meaning of Christmas (yes, it's not lost on me on how cheesy this phrase is, but I have no other alternative):

Christmas is not about preparing for a big dinner and having people over.
It isn't about the decorations.
It isn't about giving gifts to people.
It isn't about family coming together.
It isn't about being a better person.
These can be good things, but Christmas is not about these.

Christmas is about rescue.

It's about God seeing the darkness that we're hopelessly entangled in, and making massive moves to break through the barriers between us and Him. It's about God decisively winning over evil. It's celebrating Jesus taking on human form, being flesh and blood like us, so that He can die for us and resurrect for us, for our salvation and redemption.

EVERYTHING in the Old Testament, the hope for God to save us from all the hurt that we receive and give back, is confirmed in Jesus' life and death. Bring all of the promises to mind, and take your pick:

When God says that He will walk with you through the surging waters and the fire, Jesus confirms it (Isaiah 43:1-3).

When God speaks to Isaiah and says that He has, and will always carry us to the end, Jesus confirms it (Isaiah 46:4).

When the Servant says that He will bind up the brokenhearted, proclaim liberty to captives, and comfort all who mourn, Jesus confirms it (Isaiah 61:1,3).

When David writes that he could run away as far as he could, going beyond the seas, only to find that God would still be there to guide him, Jesus confirms it (Psalm 139:1-12).

Which one are you?

In Isaiah 9, God didn't say that the people who are already in the light will see a great light. Rather, it's the people who suffered in the darkness, in the shadow of death, that the light comes to. God sees you.

So this Christmas, let's turn to Jesus, whether it's your first time, or a reaffirmation of your faith. God is yearning to redeem us, all in our varied states, and we can be part of that renewal. Let's celebrate Philippians 2, where Jesus takes on human form to dwell among men, and pay the ransom for everyone who is willing to receive Him. As the song goes,

Mild He lays His glory by,
born that we no more may die,
born to raise us from the earth,
born to give us second birth

Hark! the herald angels sing,
"Glory to the newborn King."