Chapter 5

|Coney Island, New York|
|Saturday, June 26, 1937|

"Hurry up! We need to get to the cyclone before there's a line!" I shout to the slow-walking boys behind me.

Every year since we were old enough, the three of us would put together the money we had and catch a train to coney island. it sort of became a tradition that we would go at least once every summer.

"Raya, The park just opened, I doubt they'll be a line," Bucky says, "And we ride this every year, what's the rush?"

"Buck! Don't you research?" I shout to him, only slightly annoyed.

"What is she talking about?" He mumbles to Steve

"Today is the 10-year anniversary of the Cyclone. They're giving out 50 free tickets. This means, if we get there fast enough, Steve can ride too." They look at each other with even more excitement than before and they catch up to me.

We get to the line and there are only three people ahead of us, and the ride hasn't opened yet. We stand and wait for the attendant to get the ride ready and I watch as Bucky stuffs his money back into his pocket.

"Um, I don't know guys, maybe I'll let someone else get my ticket," Steve says, looking up at the ride and sounding uneasy.

"No, come on, Steve. You never ride it with us, you have to do it at least once!" I plead

"It can't hurt anything to just ride it once."

"Okay, alright. But if I lose my breakfast, that's on you." He jokes.

We get in the ride and the attendant puts Steve and me in the very front row.

"Perfect seats," I whisper and I look over to Steve to see him praying. I let out a little chuckle and hold his arms in a side hug.

"Thanks for giving into us this year."

The ride starts and we take off, testing and turning and going up and down several hills. We get to the top of the tallest curve and I look over to Steve, getting ready to put my arms up for the dip when I notice his face. It's too late to move or do anything and he throws up in both of our laps. I would've jumped out of the car if I wasn't strapped in so tightly.

"Steve!" I yell as we go down the hill.

As soon as the ride docks and we can take off our seatbelts, I step out, careful not to drip on the seat. I waddle over to where Bucky is waiting and we watch as Steve tells the attendant what happened.

We watch him walk over to us and we all just burst out laughing.

"So when you said it would be on us if you threw up... you weren't kidding," I say, making everyone laugh even harder.

"Okay, we need to get both of you cleaned up and get some more food in you. And this time you're going to hold onto it." Bucky says, pulling steve into a side hug and walking us all to a bathroom.

***

After getting cleaned off and buying food, Steve and I sit down on one of the picnic tables near the food booths. Bucky goes off to use the bathroom and leaves Steve and I to guard our nachos.

"There is just something so special about the cheese they put on these nachos," I say, taking a bite.

"What, that it's plastic?" He jokes, "So are you looking forward to college?" He asks

"Yeah, I really am. I can't wait to learn from teachers who actually care and live away from all of the toxicity in my house. But I'm going to miss you and Buck."

"You're going to have to visit as much as you can."

"Oh, of course. What are your plans?"

"I think I'll probably just stay home, maybe I'll go to school with Bucky or get a job with him at the convenience store.

"Both very good plans. And you'll be at home when I visit!"

"What are you guys talking about?" Bucky asks walking up to the table.

"Oh, Steve was just saying how he wanted to ride the Cyclone again," I say, putting a chip in my mouth.

"Absolutely not!" Bucky shouts and we all burst out into laughter

|Monday, August 30, 1937|

My family and I walk onto the platform and we can hear all of the trains hissing, going to and fro. I set my luggage down and I walk up to the counter to get my ticket.

"One-way ticket to New York, New York," I say, sliding my money across and taking the piece of paper that holds my future.

"I can't believe you're the first to leave," Bucky says, carrying my luggage with me to my platform.

When we get there, I see Steve sitting on one of the benches.

"Steve! What are you doing here?"

"I had to say goodbye! The whole family was invited, and I think that includes me."

"You're right," I say smiling and pulling him into a hug.

I go down the line, saying bye to everyone in the family. I say bye to Lily and tell her to add a Mom and Dad doll to her dinner table. Then I say bye to Eve and I notice she has small tears resting in her eyes.

"Hey, don't cry, I'll be back so soon."

"You better come back, I like having a big sister."

Then I say bye to Will as he pretends like he's not sad, choosing not to reciprocate my hug. I say bye to Mom and make sure to thank her for being a Mom for the last couple of months. I tell her to write to Dad and tell him I'm thinking of him and she just nods, knowing that if she speaks, shell start to cry.

Next, I say bye to Steve. I pull him into a really tight hug.

"Don't get into any more fights. Please." I say to him, with a stern look on my face.

"You know I can't agree to that." He says

"Then, win them." I grin at him.

I turn to Bucky, the last person to say bye to. He has been there for me through everything, even when I hated him. And now I can't help but feel guilty that I'm leaving him.

"One day, you're going to save the world." He whispers in my ear giving me one last hug and I start to cry a little. walking. to my train and looking at all of them, just looking back at me. I pick a seat on the train, putting my bags on the seat next to me and I look out the window, watching my family and the train station move away and eventually fade off into the background.