Chapter 13

Hello friends! I'm back again, and if you read the author's note from the last time I updated, I'm still recovering from everything that has been on. If you want to, or if you're interested in reading something scary/creepy, please check out my Horror, Mystery, & Thriller Snippets short stories on my profile. That's enough chat for now, let's get into it! This chapter is going to be a mini-side story that dives into the reason why Canada told Ukraine about the journal pages (...and their "relationship" in general!)

Anything written in bold and in (____) is an author's note for understanding and comedic reasons.

—————

Canada had been involved with Ukraine for years. It had all started back in 7th grade (or year) when he began to see the girl sitting beside of him differently. The nice flowers she always wore, her kindness and gentleness, and the perfection of her face. Canada couldn't bring himself to talk to her, and felt himself clam up and freezing when she talked to him. There was one distinct time he would always remember: Ukraine had accidentally dropped her pencil during class and it rolled in his direction. He quickly swooped down and got it, holding it in his hand longer than he thought he should. "H-here," he whispered, holding it out to her. "You...you dropped this." Ukraine gratefully took it, a soft smile blooming on her face. "Thanks, Canada." She replied quietly, then turned back to her worksheet. From then on, Canada was hooked. 

He enjoyed drawing back then, and would find himself drawing tiny little flowers on the margins of his schoolwork, each modeled after the crown of blooms Ukraine was wearing that day. America, even at eleven years old, realized his big brother was into someone, and teased him relentlessly. "OooOOOhhH! Nada's in love!" America once crowed when he found an entire drawing of Ukraine in Canada's sketchbook. For Valentine's Day that very same year, Canada surprised her with a gigantic bouquet of flowers he had bought from the local market. Ukraine was over the moon, and she soon shared similar feelings. It took them both a while, but at the very end of 8th grade (or year), they confessed their love for each other. Australia had a Polaroid camera with him that day for last-day-of-school photos, and he snapped a photo of Canada and Ukraine with their arms awkwardly around each other, grinning widely. 

Canada had kept the picture over the summer, hiding it underneath his bed and pulling it out whenever he wanted. He and Ukraine kept in touch over the summer and talked for hours on end. Text messages became phone calls. Phone calls became video calls. Freshman year was one of the best times of Canada's life. He asked her out to every school dance, and even got permission from his parents to take his girlfriend to a fancy restaurant every once in a while. But, in their sophomore year of high school, they quickly began to drift apart. Ukraine began spouting nonsense to him, comparing him to her father, even though each thing she said was a complete lie. The kind girl he once knew had been replaced by a manipulative liar who would do anything to get her way. Canada fell into depression, and soon, when he couldn't take it anymore, he broke up with Ukraine. Ukraine, of course, was devastated, and try anything she could to get back with him. Canada wouldn't have it, but was afraid she would do something to hurt him or his family, so he complied with her every demand. (For example, when Ukraine forcefully kisses him in the second or third chapter. He uses the excuse of "being interested in someone else" as a bail for when Ukraine asks why he doesn't like her anymore.)

America had gone off with Russia, and seeing the two together was making Canada extremely jealous. He would go into his room when Russia came over, hiding away and drawing complicated shapes in his sketchbooks. (EMO! EMO!) So, when Japan and her newfound girlfriends plan the Revenge, Canada is secretly glad. One day, in a deserted classroom, Ukraine corners him and asks him if he's been noticing anything different from her old friends. If he didn't tell her, Ukraine threatened him. Scared (even though it's not historically accurate), Canada gave every single piece of information he could. This led to the Japan/Ukraine fight. 

Canada is now back into his depression because he feels bad for telling on Japan and her new friends. Canada actually did have feelings for Japan the first few days of school, but America cut him off because 1: he didn't want Ukraine to get upset, and 2: he knew that Japan would probably be more attracted to South Korea. 

(Let's get into the Soviet Family now, and a little bit more of why Ukraine is the way she is.)

Russia was, and always will be: The Favorite Child. Ukraine had always believed that there was no such thing because her father, the USSR (or "Soviet", as most of the fandom calls him) told her so. It became glaringly obvious as she became older. Soon, being the second oldest of her siblings, she and her father would get into many fights about this issue. One day, one of them went overboard and led to Soviet accidentally slapping her. It was an accident because Soviet was angry in the moment and was not thinking, but he began to deeply regret what he had done. This led Soviet to become even more absent than he already was, going out for a drink and not returning for days at a time. Ukraine took the hit the wrong way, and was traumatized from it, not realizing that her father didn't mean to and felt guilty.

Ukraine began to feel like she was a disappointment to her family, and turned to feeling guilty and depressed instead of happy. She began to only feel happy when she was in power of something, whether is be a simple group project or the queen of popularity she has now become. This is the reason why she had lost (and pushed away!) so many of her friends. They can't handle being manipulated and mocked, while Ukraine isn't realizing what's she's doing because she is enjoying herself. 

—————

I hope you enjoyed this little summary about two of our favorite side characters!

Also, let me know if you'd like some art based on this series! (profile pictures or something)

thank you for reading and have a great day :D