One

"Leigh?"

"Yeah?"

"How's your mom babe, you haven't said anything about her in a while."

"I don't know. She hasn't been answering my calls. I think shes tired of me" Leigh-Anne joked, laying down in the bed next to her girlfriend.

"When's the last time you spoke to her?"

"I don't know, why?"

"You two usually speak everyday and you haven't heard from her in a few weeks, don't you find that strange? That isn't like her."

"I'm sure she's fine"

"She probably is but you should still check. Make sure she isnt ill or anything."

"You're right. Maybe I should go pop in and check on her. Come with me please?"

"Of course. We can go tomorrow."

-

Jade and Leigh-Anne drove upstate to her mother's house. Her mother didn't want her to go down to the city, her time at college turned Leigh-Anne into a city girl. She loves Brooklyn.

"What about the little ones?" Jade asked.

"We can take them home for a week and take them shopping for some toys and clothes and stuff. We're ten minutes away, theres no point in turning back now."

"You know, I still can't believe you grew up here"

"Why?"

"I don't know. It's so. . ."

"Run down?"

"No, it's so. . .rural out here. Miles in between houses. What did you do for fun?"

"Well, when I was little we lived on my dad's farm. I used to play with the animals. Chase the chickens, ride horses you know. My mom has a few animals here but its not the same. "

"Country girl" Jade teased making Leigh-Anne smiled.

"Stoppp"

"I'm just messing. If I didn't know I would think you were raised in the city."

"Thank you. I wish my mom would move to the city with my sisters. I think they would have a better childhood"

"Why do you say that? You had a good childhood, no?"

"Yeah I did but they're still so young, they have nothing to do out here. No one to talk to. My mom keeps them inside, I have to travel so far to see them. They're three and five. They should go to a playground at least once in their life"

"What if they don't want that?"

"I don't know but my mom doesn't even have them in school"

"They're too young for school. Kids start at 6."

"Yeah they do. let's go see" Leigh-Anne and Jade got our walking up to her home.

"Those animals smell atrocious Leigh-Anne.  Help your mom clean up, She's always telling you she needs help. She already has to take care of the babies, don't make her do everything on her own. " Jade nearly gagged at the faint smell.

"She wanted them." Leigh-Anne shrugged, unlocked the door. She immediately pulled her shirt over her nose.

"Go back, go back" Leigh-Anne pushed Jade out and she closed the door behind her.

"It smells horrendous in there"

"Come on, she's probably feeling poorly. Stop being childish"

Jade didn't believe Leigh-Anne until she was hit with the nauseating smell. She gagged, unable to handle the foul smell. She grabbed Leigh-Anne's hand when she tried to walk out again.

"We're already here. Where's your mom's room again"

Leigh-Anne opened as many windows as she could before following Jade up stairs. She was stood in a doorway with a shocked expression.

"Babe what's wrong?" Jade shook her head pushing her girlfriend away.

"What?"

"What's wrong?"

"Babe, what's wrong?" Leigh-Anne was starting to worry.

"Ma"

"Mommy?" Leigh-Anne called for the woman.

"Excuse me, babe"

"Babe you shouldn't" Jade was trying to process what she saw herself.

"Please move Jade"

"Listen to me baby, you don't want to see."

"Why?"

Jade didn't have the heart to tell her. She felt Leigh-Anne brush past her and tried to pull her back but it was too late.

"OH MY GOD!!"