V. Slushy Run

Richie laid on his bed, his glasses on his nightstand. He tried to close his eyes but that didn't work. He felt a stressed feeling shoot up his stomach.

"What the hell is this." He mumbled to himself.

His thoughts were interrupted by a light tapping on his window. He pulled his curtains back to see a familiar face. Quickly he pulled open the window.

"So do you wanna talk about it?" Beverly asked him, shaking a box of cigarettes in her right hand.

They sat on his roof, looking out at the moon. She lit a cigarette, placing it between her lips. Comfortable silence. She handed it to him to let him take a hit.

He only smokes when he's stressed.

A light cough left his lips before passing it back.

"Ben told me about your whole night terror thing. But I don't think it's just a night terror." She started.

"So he told everyone?" Richie asked, adjusting his glasses.

"Not everyone." Bev glancing at him, handing the cigarette to him.

"It's so weird, I don't know how to describe it." He passed it back, kicking his legs out.

"Yeah, when are your parents coming back Rich?" She asked.

"Late."

"How about a slushy run?" Bev smiled as the smoke fizzled out. She put the cigarette out on the rooftop.

"Only if they have cherry this time!" Richie laughed. They jumped off the roof. Richie grabbed his bike, while Bev jumped on hers. They both biked down to the gas station, with bright beaming lights.

They opened the doors and made their way to the slushy machines. Beverly grabbed two cups and handed one to Richie. He quickly filled his cup with cherry as she did but with grape.

She paid for the slushies before they walked out of the gas station.

"Woah Bevy whatcha got there?" Richie asked, as she pulled out a chocolate bar.

"Just a snack." She split it in half, giving him a piece. On their bike ride back to his house they talked.

"What were you and Eddie talking about?" She asked.

"He was coming out to check on me, I told him to go back and that I needed a few minutes." He replied.

"Nothing else?"

"Nope." He took a bite out of his piece.

Once they got back, Richie put his bike away. Bev left hers laid flat next to his house.

"Bev." He said.

"Yes?"

"Why do you look out for me so much?" He asked.

"Because no Loser should be left behind by another Loser." She explained.

They sat in more silence.

"Flower petals."

"Flower petals?"

"Flower petals keep coming out like vomit." He told her. She sat in disbelief.

"Like there's a plant inside of you?" She squinted her eyes.

"I mean I guess, sometimes I can't breathe it's like it's trying to kill me." Richie slurped his straw.

"What causes it?" Beverly asked, thought he wasn't sure how to answer that question.

"Im not sure." He hesitated.

"Richie." She looked over at him.

"Fine fine." He took a deep breath. The moonlight was glowing, casting shadows on them. It was then he felt his stomach turn. He coughed into his hands and the petals fell out. Beverly sat in horror.

"Oh my god." She mumbled.

"I'm fine." Richie coughed a bit more, before being able to breathe again. He tossed the petals.

"Shouldn't you put those somewhere?"

"You're the only one that can see them." He explained.

They sat in more silence but this silence was less comforting.

"I'll be back." Richie abruptly said. He slinked back into his house to the house phone.

He looked down at the number book. "674"

Quickly dialing the number.

"Richie it's like 2 in the morning what." The familiar voice called.

"Ed's meet me at the quarry tomorrow morning." He rambled quickly.

"Uh oh?"

"Goodnight." Richie bit his lip slightly.

"Night Rich."

He placed the phone back down on its stand. Richie quickly ran back up to the roof. Bev already had a cigarette to her lips.

"Hey Bevy."

"Hey Rich, what was that about?"

"Oh nothing." He laughed it off. Beverly clearly taking mind of his behavior.

"I need to tell you something."

"What's up?"

"I think I know what's causing this."

"What?" She asked curiously.

"I think its Eddie."

----

word count: 723