04: reminiscing

10.16.2020 ♔
seoul, south korea

[ AUTHOR'S POV ]

back at the office as usual, mia couldn't stop thinking about the guy from last night. drowning in her thoughts, wondering if he was alright, and if he constantly stayed late to practice. looking up, mia stares at an old photo beside her desktop. taking the photo in her hand, mia thinks about the night her childhood bestfriend confronted her about his dream of debuting finally coming true, and leaving her.

———————- *FLASHBACK* ———————

02.19.2016
gangnam, south korea

mia gets up from her desk as she closes her laptop, finally finished with her schoolwork for the day. closing the curtains of her room with her only light source being her nightstand lamp, she then hears her phone ring. looking at the caller ID, it was no one other than her bestfriend mark lee.

*incoming call from morkie lee 🦁*
*call accepted*

mark: HEYYYY!

mia: i'm gonna go deaf you bitch

mark: DID YOU JUST CALL ME A BITCH?!?!

mia: YEAH I DID!
mia: anyways, that's besides the point.
mia: how's SM treating you?

mark: it's amazing, especially the food

mia: you and food my goodness...

the two then went on for hours talking about their day and spilling tea. laughs and screams were shared between them. suddenly mark went quiet, which made mia worried.

mia: hey what's wrong??
mia: you suddenly went quiet

mark: ...
mark: i'm actually in gangnam right now

mia: ...
mia: NO WAY FOR REAL???
mia: CAN I COME SEE YOU???

mark: yes i'm for real!
mark: meet me at the park near our neighborhood okay?

mia: yayyy okay see you soon!!

*call ended*

mia really couldn't believe it. after 4 years she gets to finally see her best friend again. the nerves passing through her body as she picks an outfit and gets ready. as she rushes down her stairs, mia ignores her family bombarding her with questions and rushes out the door. mia closes her front door and starts bolting to the bus station.

*TIME SKIP TO THE PARK*

mia got off the bus as fast as she could, finally laying her eyes on a tall-like figure facing her way with two boba drinks in his hands.

"YAH MARK LEE I SEE YOU, YOU FUCKER!!" mia yelled from the park entrance, running towards the boy.

mark looked at the girl looking like she's running for her life towards him, out of breath. quickly putting the drinks down he pulled the tired girl into a tight hug.

"i missed you, so much." mia said as she buried her face into mark's chest.

pulling away from the hug, mark hands mia her drink as they both sat down on the bench. mia still in shock that her best friend is finally next to her.

"actually, i have something to tell you mia" mark said as he placed down his drink next to hers.

mia for some reason was nervous about the news.

"i'm debuting in two months..." mark finally said with baby jazz hands.

mia was in shock once again. silence filled the air. mark on the other hand was worried while trying to read the girl's expressions. a tear then falls from mia's eyes, making mark worried.

"yah yah what's wrong? did i say something wrong?" mark questioned.

"i can't believe it, you're finally gonna make it" mia said as she couldn't control her tears anymore. her happy tears.

mark immediately cradled the girl in his arms. the both stayed there for a while, but then mark pulled away as he pulled two bracelets out of his pocket, giving one of the m to mia.

"i want you to have this. i've been meaning to get us friendship bracelets for a while. i want you to wear this. not only to remind you of me, but of everything we've been through. despite that i'm debuting soon, i will always be here..." mark said pointing at her bracelet.

"... and here." pointing at the girl's heart, as he tries to hold back his tears.

not wanting to see her bestfriend cry, mia puts on the bracelet and pulls mark into a hug. pulling away, mia lightly punches mark in the arm.

"yahhh when did you get so sappy?" mia remarks.

"first of all, OW. second of all, i- i just wanted to make this moment special." mark states, still rubbing his arm.

"oh i know..., but thank you mark. i'm really gonna miss you" mia says.

both continued talking for the rest of the night and enjoying their drinks, as this was the last night they would be able to enjoy themselves like this.

———————- *END FLASHBACK* ———————
[ PRESENT DAY: MIA'S POV ]

i look back at the photo, then at my bracelet in sorrow. rubbing the bracelet against my fingers, i sadly smile as i think about that day and wish for the day i could finally see him again.