CH 3

[Scene Change: The Pentagon, night.]

[The top members of the United States military sit down at a table in a joint meeting, held by Commander Walters, commander of the U.S. Armed Forces

Commander Walters: Twenty minutes ago, an energy surge knocked out power across the entire Pacific Northwest. What do we know?

Navy Chief of Staff: Well, our first instinct was it was an EMP. But electromagnetic pulses don't have that kind of power.

Air Force Chief of Staff: NASA has ruled out meteor strikes or solar flares.

Secretary of Homeland Security: The Department of Energy says it's not a power plant malfunction.

Commander Walters: Well, sounds like we're really good at figuring out what it wasn't.

Army Chief of Staff: This could be a prelude to a larger attack. I'm suggesting we scramble the Fifth and Sixth Regiment.

Commander Walters: No, no, no, no. This needs a much more sophisticated mind. Someone who understands technology.

Army Chief of Staff: You want to send in a lab rat?

Commander Walters: Not just any lab rat. A lab rat with teeth.

Air Force Chief of Staff: You're not suggesting who I think you're suggesting.

Commander Walters: I know he's a little weird.

Air Force Chief of Staff: "Weird?!"

Army Chief of Staff: No. No. No way.

Air Force Chief of Staff: He's a psychological tire fire!

Commander Walters: But he's also brilliant. Five PhDs, IQ off the charts. And his drone tech i-i-is revolutionary!

Army Chief of Staff: You're sure he can handle this?

Commander Walters: He has a perfect operations record. Remember the coup in Pakistan?

Army Chief of Staff: No!

Commander Walters: Or the uprising in Azerbaijanistan?

Navy Chief of Staff: That's not even a country!

Commander Walters: Exactly. And you can thank Robotnik for that.

Air Force Chief of Staff: I can't believe you're bringing that freak into this.

Commander Walters: Neither can I. But... we have no choice.

[Scene Change: Baseball diamond, day.]

[The military has set up a detachment at the baseball diamond and a large black truck, a red electronic eye adorning its hood, slowly pulls in, catching the attention of Major Bennington]

Major Bennington: What the...

[A fold-out staircase opens and sets up as Dr. Robotnik steps out of the truck,]

 Robotnik steps out of the truck,]