2- "Get used to losing becuase you'll be doing it a lot"

"Here," Carl said as he threw Amelia a breath roll. 

Amelia looked at the small bread roll in her hand and smiled to herself. She hadn't had a bread roll in years. It was always her favorite part of the holidays. She scarfed it down and wiped the crumbs off her face and hands.

Carl was watching her with a look that she couldn't read. 

"Jeez slow down," Carl judged.

"I haven't eaten in 2 days, I'm literally gonna die right here from hunger," Amy told him.

Carl just nodded. "C'mon, we don't have all day we have to go on watch." 

"Aye aye, captain." Amelia mocked as she waved a fake salute at him.

Carl rolled his eyes and started leading her to the edge of the fence where they'd be put on  watch.

It was quiet. No one said anything. Quiet and Amelia Baker don't mix, it made her uncomfortable even when the silence wasn't awkward, so she decided to try and lighten the mood."

"Hey Carl, how old are you." She asked him

Carl turned and scrunched his face in confusion on why this girl whom he never met asked him his age.

Carl blinked. "Thirteen."

"Oh like me," Amelia said. "When's your birthday?"

"Why does it matter you already know how old I am." He spat.

"Because I wanna see who's older duh." She replied rolling her eyes 

"I'm not telling you about my birthday. I only tell people I know who aren't so annoying my birthday." He told Amy.

Amy's smile dropped but just a little. She wondered why he was being so rude since she'd only known him for less than an hour. Then she had an idea and smiled to herself. 

"We'll if u must know." She started in a teasing tone." "My name is Amelia Baker, but you already knew that. I'm 13, my birthday is October 18th, my eyes are a greenish color, and when I was a baby my hair was blonde don't know how that changed before this whole apocalypse thing started I played soccer." She told him. 

Amelia breathed in because that looks a lot more air than expected because she forgot to breathe.

Carl just stared at her, eyes sorta twinkling and the smallest smirk on his lips started to form. The smirk was so small no one probably would have noticed. But Amelia did.

"You annoying you know that?" "And you overshare." He told her in an annoyed tone  

"That's me." "Now c'mon give up the goods."

"Nope sorry Amelia but it's gonna take more than that. You still kinda like a stranger"

Amelia's smile was completely gone now. She straightened and started walking slightly in the other direction. Then she turned around.

"Look, Carl, I haven't seen a kid my age in a year or something. Let alone be friends with one. I'm just trying to make small talk trying to get to know each other because... I don't know maybe it would be pretty cool if we could try and be friends. I mean I don't know it's up to you- ."

Amelia didn't get to finish.

"June 27th," Carl whispered.

"What?" Amelia asked 

"June 27th." He repeated. "That's my birthday."