13- "Now we match"

Pale gray clouds covered the sun as a chilled breeze blew out through the prison. Amelia walked through the courtyard feeling the wind blow against her face making her hair fly behind her head. Her eyes squinted as she walked slowly. Her stomach wound had healed a week ago but still needed to be bandaged to avoid infection. Now it only hurt slightly when she walked but she ignored it as it was better than being in bed.

Amelia hated having to stay in bed. She had begged Maggie to let her get up and walk around 4 days after she woke up but of course, she refused stating that it was too early for any walking. She said that for two whole weeks.

It had now been a little over a month since she had gotten shot and Amelia hadn't left the prison for anything. New people from Woodbury had come to the prison and were now living in the other cell blocks. The addition of new people resulted in her and Carl sharing a cell to make room. Amelia was pulling her borrowed sweater Beth loaned her over her chest as the brisk air rolled over her body making her shiver as she walked.

"Hey, Amy we're ya goin'?" Maggie asked as she spotted her from the watch tower.

"I'm trying to find Carl!" Amelia replied, putting a hand over her eyes to shield them from the brightness of the sun that was blanketed over clouds as she looked up at Maggie.

Maggie gave her a questioning look before finally saying, " Alright but don't push it, you barely got better and I don't need you opening that wound."

"I will Mom!" Amelia replied in an annoyed tone as she's heard that statement plenty of times before.

Calling Maggie and Glenn 'Mom and Dad' was something Amelia started to do more. Although it still seemed weird to her, and they haven't formally discussed what they were, they seemed okay with it if they were formal.

"Alright, just makin' sure," Maggie yelled back as she turned her attention back out to what seemed to be endless woods.

Amelia smiled as she turned to leave in the direction of the secret room she and Carl had found and made their own hangout space. She and Carl had gotten significantly closer during the month her injury had kept her sidelined. They would read for hours in her cell, or draw and play card games as well as marbles. Carl was in Amelia's cell so often they shared it. He usually took the top bunk while she took the bottom.

As she neared closer to the room, she thought about the question she was going to ask him. Would he think I'm crazy? Would he laugh in my face and leave? She thought as she extended her arm to open the door. When she opened it she was expecting to be met with the emptiness of the room containing no Carl and her having to go continue her search elsewhere, but instead was met with the familiar bright blue eyes that shined brighter than the sea.

"Hey," Carl said, seeing who had come through the door.

"Hey," Amelia replied simply "How long have you been in here?" She asked.

"I don't know, about an hour?" He answered, not certain of his answer.

"Oh cool, " Amelia said as she sat on the other end of the couch, her legs laid out towards the middle, slightly on top of his.

"uhuh," Carl mumbled back as he continued reading the comic he's read over 10 times before.

Amelia scowled at his lack of attention as she saw the reaction he had given her. She looked to the left of her where the stack of comics lay and picked up two before loosely rolling them into a cylinder and whacking his head.

"Ah! What the hell was that for?!" Carl exclaimed with his arms up in confusion, clearly confused.

"Your complete and utter lack of attention," Amelia said smugly as she put the comics down and fixed her hair.