17- "dont leave me Carl"

Horrible things have always happened to good people. As unfair as it seems, it's happened for forever. It's a matter of how it's dealt with. If they handle it gracefully, one can hope that grace will bring order to the problem. Most things happen because of fate. But sometimes you must remind yourself that it might have happened for the better.

"You're insane!" Carl yelled from below Amelia as she climbed over one of the standing fences to get the soccer ball they had kicked over.

"Nuh-uh, I'm just not a wuss." She shouted back.

Amelia could practically sense his eye roll from 8 feet in the air. "I'm not a wuss!" He argued.

"Ok, buddy." Amy smiled to herself, grabbing the ball and chucking it over the fence for Carl to collect.

He picked up the ball as Amelia began her ascent back up the fence. She quietly thanked whatever higher power was listening for the lack of barbed wire atop the fence.

Amelia jumped down from about 2 feet and landed with a grunt, facing Carl.

"So do you still wanna-" She started to ask before being cut off by the sound of a truck leaving. Inside the truck were Michonne and Hershel.

"Hey kids wanna come burn some walkers?" She called out from the bed of the truck.

The two teens looked at each other, then back to Michonne with their faces contorted in disgust.

"Nah we're fine here!" Carl yelled back.

"Make sure to have tons of fun though!" Amelia added.

Michonne flashed them a sarcastic smile before she hit the side of the truck twice, signaling for Hershel to drive.

"Did she really think we would wanna go burn walkers with them?" Carl laughed.

"I dunno but it sounded creepy like the apocalypse equivalent to hey kids I got candy in my van." Amelia joked.

The two of them burst into laughter at the girl's joke. They were still laughing when they heard fast footsteps behind them. Both of them turned around to see Maggie running towards them with a huge smile on her face.

"Well, what's she in such a good mood about?" Amelia asked with a questioning look on her face.

The boy just shrugged back in response.

As Maggie finally reached them they were keen with anticipation as to what Maggie had to say.

"What crawled down your throat and made you all sunshiney today?" She asked Maggie, her accent slightly shining through.

"Glenn's awake and better, he wants to see you." She said with the biggest smile Amelia'd seen from her in a long while.

Amelia's face of curiosity quickly morphed into shock and excitement. She felt so many things at once she didn't even know how to react. She felt Carl's eyes fall on her, waiting for her reaction. She continued to stare at Maggie before she fully processed what she had just heard.

In a late reaction, she whooped in excitement before throwing herself onto Carl in a relieved hug, releasing him with her hands still on his shoulders to stare into his eyes which were filled with excitement. His pupils seemed to enlarge as she looked into his eyes, but it could have just been excitement. Then she moved onto Maggie who twirled the young girl while laughing, slightly lifting her beat Converse off the ground.

"Can we see him now?" Amelia asked.

"Lead the way starshine," Maggie instructed, pulling her arm back and allowing her to go in front of her.