chapter 5

Your mind was infested with recurring thoughts on Ghost's last words to you as you prepared for the mission — the entire time, your blood pounded in your veins and your throat was dry. You were so close to finding Kilgore. So close.

Your brows furrow in anger the more you thought about it. You were so so close. All Ghost had to tell you was one thing. Why wouldn't he tell you?

You strapped a fresh new heavy sniper on your back and stuck a lightweight pistol in your pocket, sticking a loaded magazine into each one and keeping extra in your pockets. As you geared up for your first mission on Task Force 141, you couldn't help put steal glances at the masked man a few feet away from you.

You felt hatred for him, but aside from that, you felt challenge.

The way he spoke to you when you first met eyes with him... it was dangerous and exciting. It made your head spin and your heart pound in ways it hadn't in years.

You're known as emotionless and fearless to your peers in German Special Forces, and even when you first became a recruit when you were eighteen. It's like you had a switch in you — the moment you stepped onto dangerous territory, you became a shell of a woman. You became deadly.

But with him, that melted away. You felt more alert, more reckless.

You felt alive.

Maybe you were exaggerating. You've only known him for a few hours. But this feeling was like no other.

You shook it off, secured your pistol in your holster, and focused your sight on Graves.

He gave the team a quick nod, and gestured for you to follow.

Once outside, you observed a pack of secured vehicles waiting for you. Everyone got into one, but as you were about to step up into the backseat of one of the vehicles, your boot slipped and you stumbled a bit. You cussed as you lost your balance.

Ghost, already sitting in the backseat on the opposite end, look down on you and made an amused "hm" sound. You glared at him and carefully stepped in the vehicle, seething silently to yourself.

Dick.

The ride there was intense and quiet. The grumbling of the vehicle was lulling, yet your eyes were wide open and your attention was perked. You heard your new earpiece crackle as Shepherd's voice sounded through for everyone to hear.

"Coordinates obtained through interrogation of El Sin Nombre confirm an oil rig 400 nautical miles offshore the Gulf of Mexico."

You readjusted your collar, as if the mere mention of your current location made you feel overheated. It was rather hot here, especially during this time of year.

"The rig is no longer active and is currently in use by the cartel as a smuggling dead drop," Shepherd continued. "A cargo ship is anchored 500 meters to its northwest. Survellience saw personnel moving a large container from the ship to the rig."

You blinked, focusing on his words closely.

"That container is now on top of the platform. We believe this is the missile."

As you were listening to the task at hand, you felt the pressure of eyes on you. Growing irritated, you turned your head the opposite direction and watched the small civilizations on the dry land in Mexico as they passed you by.