Chapter ✺ 15

Sunrise

A hunting group leaves early with Orsunr to bring the tribe back a fresh kill for the day, while Callista stays in camp, preparing stuff in bags at dawn, I'm not sure what for... I didn't feel like asking him. We were both avoiding each other, to cool off after last night's episode with Nyaor. I was still angry he sent a wild bear after me. Talk about extreme.

Biankar and I sit by the camp fire, together, although not too close, after she asks me to join her. I was concerned about her. She had lost two sisters and I was the sole cause of Kesanr's death. I do feel regret and shame now about how blood thirsty I was in the moment. The tribe was beginning to feel like home, like family, including her. I guess my only redemption was saving her life, which is why she sits with me now while nursing her extensive burn injuries.

"Damp Water is a magical place, Morgan," Biankar starts slow, surprising me by using my title out of respect, while chewing carefully on some leaves, she is well cared for by my mother and the other healers, but she refuses to lie down for long, restless since sunrise.

"The land, river, sun and rain gifts us everything," I respond, "What is it you wanted to speak about?"

"I know you choose to be an outcast, even as a Queen," Biankar shuffles down the log onto the ground, leaning back and watching the flames burn without blinking, "And even as an outcast, you've achieved a lot. You killed my sister. You saved my life. You captured Callista and Orsunr's heart like a witch. You killed Offu of River Blood like nothing, swooping in as a shadow and leaving as a shadow. You bring back Nyaor's name. All this in a matter of days. And now you also shift into a spirit wolf when thunder is overhead. You're full of life. I wanted to give you what no one would give. You've proven yourself a warrior."

I gulp and I say nothing.

Is Biankar serious... or just numbed out?

"...thank you..." I murmur, awkwardly.

She turns her face to me, red and sore and healing so slowly, she forces us to make eye contact, "For my life, I accept you as one of us. I accept you are Morgan... and I owe you my life."

"But Kesanr..." I whisper, so quietly.

"I was the one who convinced her to disrespect your first night here, even as Callista chose you, her death is therefore my fault. You weren't here but I was broken from Jinaya's murder. I encouraged my sister to share Orsunr with me. To fill some void in me. But Jinaya will never return. And now, neither will Kesanr. But here you are... Yehseeka. Here you are and here you shall stay. I will support you. You must have so many questions about Sovrex. Ask."

"I am sorry you have no sisters left, Biankar, I truly am sorry. I have no particular questions about this tribe right now... but just before... when you called me a witch for taking Callista and Orsunr's hearts... what did you mean by that? Do you see me... as a witch?" I ask, terrified of her answer.

"I told you I see you as a warrior," Biankar eyes me off again, "One who will live fast, die young, if you were a lake, blood fills you. And me? In my empty lake, I am thirsty. Teach me to fight like you. So I don't die today," her voice cracks up, she looks scared.

"You won't die. Thirsty for what... death?"

"Anything," Biankar sounds dead inside now, "Please show me how to have that fire to live and fight like you do. At first I thought I hated you for your spirit, but I hope to be inspired. You're a leader. My Morgan. And no, again, since it worries you, I don't think you're a witch..."

I say it so quietly, I can't believe I am admitting it, "...and yet I am one of those too," I accept it now, with Biankar by my side, "I see things when I take a life. Things I shouldn't see."