Chapter 2

Bowen and his brothers were riding back to Winterfell. When they crossed a stone bridge with a creek running under it. Ned riding in the front stopped after he noticed a deer with his guts hanging out. The smell was horrendous. Ned, Theon, Jon, and Bowen would dismount their horses to investigate it.  Robb would hang back and hold the horses. 

"What is it?" Jon Questioned.

"Mountain lion?" Theon asked. Bowen would walk down and take a closer look. His green eyes peered at the slaughtered animal. The dead animal's torso was torn to shreds, and half of its guts looked to be out of its body. 

"No mountain lions in these woods" Ned answered. 

"Poachers" Bowen replied. Ned thought about it but didn't answer.  Bowen would stare at the dead creature a bit longer until he noticed his father's movement toward the creek. Bowen would draw his sword with Ned and a knight when they went down the creek. As they proceeded down the creek they noticed a wolf with stags andler embedded in its neck. The wolf had a scar on its face and blood smeared all over. Little pups were desperately trying to get fed by their mother. Bowen looked down with sadness at the sight. Seeing these baby wolfs now motherless was a certain death for them.

"It's a freak" Theon broke the silence.

"It's a dire wolf" Ned stated. This caught Bowen's attention. Dire wolfs were the animal on his families sigil. Bowen assumed they were myths or extinct. But to see one dead with children made it a sad sight to be hold. 

"There are no dire wolfs south of the wall." Robb stated. 

Ned pulls the andler out of the fallen dire wolf.  The andler was bloodied with the dire wolfs blood all over. Bowen thought an eye for an eye. Bowen looked at the pups and saw 6 bundled around their mother. But one stood away from the others. Alone.

"Now there are 6" Jon stated.

Jon picks one up. "You want to hold it." Jon asked Bran. Before he got an answer he drops it in Brans arms. "Where will they go, their mothers dead" Bran questioned. His brown innocent eyes looked at Jon waiting for an answer. Until Ser Rodrick Cassel answered "They don't belong down here". Ned stood up and said with no hesitation "Better a quick death... They won't last without their mother".  Bowen green eyes widened as he didn't want to see they pups killed. But he knew his father was right. Theon came down to do the job of killing them. Bowen grabbed the one that stood by itself. Bowens black gloves grab the tiny bundle of grey fur.  He looked at it ignoring Brans cries for Theon not to hurt it. Because he knew that if he did listen than he would only hurt the creatures more by letting them live in the wild. 

"Put away your blade" Robb spoke.

Whenever Robb spoke Bowen would listen. Not because Robb was older instead he possessed an ability to have people listen when he spoke. Whether that be him not speaking much or his tone Bowen would listen. Robb was born to lead House Stark. While Bowen preferred fighting. Bowen would sneak out of dinners to go train in the courtyard at Winterfell. With Jon most times since Catelyn Stark wouldn't allow him to attend since he was a bastard. The two boys would train together. While Robb was good at everything. Fighting , leading , and speaking. 

"I take orders from your Father not you." Theon countered. 

"He'll be lord of the House someday I suggest you listen now" Bowen threatened. Ned put a hand on Bowen shoulder to tell him to calm down. Whilst this Bran would plead to Ned asking to spare them. 

"Sorry Bran" Ned said lowly.

"Lord Stark. There are 6 pups, one for each of the Stark children. The Dire Wolf is the sigil to your house you were meant to have them." Jon stated. Everyone looked to Ned for an answer. Bowen was hoping for Bran's sake that his father would show mercy.