🌞Chapter 8🌻

🌞🌻

"You're so persistent; in that case, let's just go sleep together...?! The bed's a semi-double so though it'll be a narrow fit, just bear with it...?!"

I always tend to stop resisting and go with the flow whenever something gets too troublesome but right now, all I wanted to do was punch myself for falling into that kind of bad habit.

Why? How did this happen? From behind, two sturdy arms embraced me. From above, I heard gentle, sleepy breathing. In front of me, the wall loomed. I wonder, just why did I end up in this dakimakura-like position.

Let's go back in time to a few hours ago. After Mew and I came back from shopping, we each started to unpack our loot. While I removed tags from the clothes, Mew washed the newly-purchased dishes. Once that was done, I taught Mew how to use the rice cooker and the stove, and then started on making dinner. We leisurely watched TV while eating dinner. Later I hopped into the bath.

"Well, now's the time to go to sleep..." Just when I said those words, I realized that I had forgotten to buy the most crucial thing.

Another argument about our sleeping arrangements followed. I had already gotten fed up with repeating this every night, and that's exactly why I had gone to the furniture store in the first place: to buy a futon... Despite that, I'd gotten sidetracked by that classy general goods store and ended up buying a set of dishes instead. Upon seeing that guy's happy face I had felt filled with a sense of accomplishment and had gone home without a care in the world, not remembering the whole reason I'd gone furniture shopping in the first place.

And so, the second round of our battle began. "You're still not in prime condition..." I attempted to say, but Mew wasn't having it. Without listening to me, he said that tonight he'd be sleeping on the couch. I somehow felt that I would be obligated to apologize for making a man who looks like a prince sleep on a sofa, but this guy had been even more stubborn than I'd thought. He was the type that wouldn't be swayed once he'd decided on something, so after feeling that arguing was too annoying I let him have his way and just carelessly replied, "Fine, it's settled then."

For the first time in a while I headed back to my bedroom, but for some reason I looked back. There, what greeted my eyes was the sight of two big legs sticking out of the sofa. The sofa was just big enough to fit someone of my height, so it would take some severe determination for a giant like Mew to sleep there. After peering over the back of the couch, I saw Mew desperately trying to squeeze into the small space while wrapping himself in the blanket. I couldn't bear to watch that sight any longer.

Collecting myself, I called out to him and said, "Go back to sleep in the bed," but as expected, Mew stubbornly refused to give up. When I asked why he was being this headstrong about it, he replied that as a freeloader, he couldn't accept receiving better treatment than me, his host.

"Though I'm thankful that you have lent me the use of your sofa, in truth, I would be fine with even sleeping on the floor," he said.

With that, I'd finally had enough of this circular and meandering bickering. Raising my voice, I said the very thing that started this whole mess: "You're so persistent. In that case, let's just go sleep together. The bed's a semi-double - it'll be a narrow fit, so you'll just have to bear with it."

I really thought Mew would say something along the lines of 'There's no way I can do something like that'. Instead, his face turned surprised, then slightly angry, then shy. A sad look came over him, and he kept quiet, a hundred expressions passing over his lowered face. Mew then sat up, and upon making eye contact with me, firmly raised his head.