Edinburgh

"At least a thistle!" Beth smiled, nodding. Colin loved when she laughed, as her face would take on a girlish appearance, breaking the serious and composed disguise. He loved how she did not care if she came across as pushy, or even rude. She enjoyed his attention, and his gaze, and it flattered him. It made him feel good, like a true, desirable man. "I think I will manage something better than a thistle."
Beth nodded, fluttering her eyelashes after catching his wink. God, she was beautiful! "I have arranged an address there." He took out a piece of paper, handing it to her. "I hope you will write." He added. He noticed how she folded the paper and put it inside her little handbag. She was a true lady, always making sure she acts like one. "I will. And I will miss you, at the balls."
Colin nodded, surprised she would confess something like that. It pleased him, nevertheless.
Julie reluctantly agreed, as her mother dragged her along towards Beth and Lord Bridgerton. Lucille Bennett was a firm believer that gentlemen should be left yearning for more, always. She passed her tactic onto Beth, as her daughter Julie was too damn stubborn to listen to such 'trivial piece of advice'. Lucille loved her daughter dearly, and although her niece was a lot easier to handle, no one could ever come close to how much she adored Julie. She knew part of the reason Julie was so different and confident was because of the love she grew up with- she was the family's only girl- protected firstly by her mother, then father, and four brothers.
"Mrs. Bennett. Lady Bennett." Colin smiled, swiftly kissing the back of Mrs. Bennett's hand. Julie could tell her mother was charmed by his little sign of affection. Older ladies always were, despite all their years of experience with flatterers. "Mrs. Bennett, I was just about to ask Lady Vaughn to join me on a boat.. That is, if you allow it, of course."
"Ah, Lord Bridgerton, I am afraid we were just heading home." Lucille politely shook her head, cocking an eyebrow towards Beth. Julie admired the effort they put into their little show. "Withal, Julie is terribly bored here.."
"Half an hour. On my honor." Colin nodded. "Lady Bennett can come with. As our chaperon."
"As generous as your offer is, believe it or not, I actually have better things to do than be a chaperon, and besides-"
"Julie." Mrs. Bennett stopped her daughter from going any further. "Of course, if Julie had a date, I suppose I could allow you to go together-"
"Mother." Julie rolled her eyes, trying to end the insinuation there. "You are absolutely right, Mrs. Bennett. I believe one of my dear friends, Lord Johnson, would love to join us."
And five minutes later, Julie was squished next to the Lord Johnson, as he helped Colin row a boat. Julie noticed he had purposely pushed closer to her and as much as she tried to pull away, the boat bench did not allow her to escape the touch of his thigh and his forearm brushing her bosom every time he moved the oar. Julie tried really hard not to ruin the chance Beth was given. She was enjoying the attention Colin gave her, exchanging whispers with him. Julie told herself it was worth it, for Beth. But just as they were reaching the dock, her patience was on a thin thread. She felt his right hand sneak up, trying to touch her breast. She gave him a warning look, but it did not stop him. Once they were at the dock, he offered her a hand to help her, which she refused, jumping to the shore.
Colin watched as Julie rudely refused the offered hand, and jumped, as a man would, not caring about the curious looks. She humiliated Lord Johnson. More than that, she dared to even point a finger at him and accuse him of being lewd. "I only put up with your rudeness because of Beth." She rebuked him. "Lady Bennett, please." Lord Johnson pulled a most believable innocent face, turning to Colin and Beth. Julie wished to gauge his eyes out. "Is everything alright?"
"No, it is not. Lord Johnson was extremely-"
"I doubt Lord Johnson did anything to annoy you on purpose." Colin smiled, trying to ease the situation. "Indeed. If I have, I apologize." George smiled, again pulling at last string of Julie's patience. She did not make it up! The man was shamelessly trying to grope her for the last half an hour. "Forget it." Julie sighed, as Beth linked her arm with hers. "I have wasted enough time today for this. I have more important things to do." She added, nodding. "Such as?"
"You truly believe I-"
"Julie's pet cow is due to calve." Beth whispered, trying to stop the scene from attracting further attention on the dock. Colin and George burst out laughing, convinced it was a joke. "Is there something amusing about that?"
"I simply cannot believe someone would rather be in company of cows than Lord Johnson and I."
"Then you think of yourself too highly." Julie sneered, before giving them both a short nod. Colin watched as they walked away, unsure of how what just happened made him feel. But he knew one thing. Julie Bennett caused completely different feelings than Lady Vaughn. Julie made Colin feel inferior, provoked, confused. And that drove him crazy, but it also awakened his curiosity and desire to prove himself. Her raw honesty, smug confidence and steadfastness made her stand out. Maybe not in the best light, but she stood out. And she made him think, about himself, and there was something unusual Colin liked about that.

Lady Bennett // Colin Bridgertonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें