Chapter 5: Birthright

While Romeo and Ben were out, a meeting took place at Romeo's house. It consisted of Romeo's father, Joseph, Ben's father, Charles and their younger brother Victorio and it took place in a lounge which was located in the basement. Joseph's daughter, Luciana, was also present at the meeting, although she hadn't been invited. She served everyone with drinks from the bar and pretended to sort out the cupboards while the three adults were speaking.

"So how's the revenue looking?" Joseph asked after taking a sip from his wine glass.

"It's alright", Victorio responded.

"Well that's the problem then, isn't it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Honestly, Victorio", Charles huffed, "If the revenue is the alright then it hasn't really changed. It means we're becoming stagnant."

"Oh well. At least we aren't falling behind."

"Can you take this seriously?!" Charles yelled, slamming his fist on the arm rest of the sofa. Luciana jumped from behind the bar, knocking over several wine bottles in the process. The three brothers all turned and watched her hastily gather up the bottles which were rolling away from her.

"Why is she here?" Charles asked, "shouldn't Romeo be here instead?"

"Your son isn't here either", Joseph said.

"But Romeo is your proteje, is he not? Or is he too busy crying like a girl, as per usual?"

Victorio snorted and Luciana began to tremble with laughter from behind the bar counter. Joseph glared at his brothers and growled, "Do not talk about my son in that manner."

"Oh but come on Joseph. We all know that Romeo isn't cut out for this world. He'd probably prefer working in a flower shop over joining the family trade."

"Charles!"

"Well I'm not lying am I? Even his younger sister would be better than him so imagine how much better my son would be."

"That's enough!"

"Well I'm just speaking on everyone's behalf. Everyone knows how weak Romeo is. You'd be sparing us all the embarassment by putting Ben in his place."

"What, so that you can just take over?! Dream on! Romeo will be my successor and that's that." Joseph slammed his empty, but shatter resistant, wine glass on the table. Charles rolled his eyes but didn't dare to say anymore. Victorio watched in amusement and took a sip out of his glass to hide his growing smile. There was a moment of silence before it was broken by Joseph asking his daughter to refill their glasses and then leave the room. Luciana did as she was told, except leaving the room. Instead, she stood in the middle of the congregation and asked, "Dad, what if I took over?"

Victorio's hands flew to his mouth while Charles' eyebrow shot up. "Stop being silly and go upstairs", Joseph muttered.

"I'm being serious. Even Uncle Charles agrees that I'd be better that him."

"I don't", Joseph said, "You don't know the first thing about running a crime organisation."

"But Dad, neither does Romeo. You can teach me and then you won't lose any of your power."

"You're only sixteen. You don't know anything."

"And Romeo's only seventeen! What can he learn that I can't?"

"You're just a girl", Charles snapped, "Now go upstairs. The adults are talking."

Luciana scowled but left as she was told. She knew better than to anger her father, especially when his brothers were around. There was nothing that he valued more than his reputation which was why Luciana could never take her father's place. At least not unless Romeo decided to fake his own death and run away. Luciana was so lost in her thoughts that she did not hear her mother calling her name or notice her approaching until she felt a tap on the shoulder.

"Oh, hey Mum", Luciana said.

"Didn't you hear me calling you?" her mother scolded.

"No, sorry."

"Come and walk with me", her mother said. She led her daughter to their luxurious garden patio and sat down with her on a sofa that was situated beneath a vine covered pergola. The two of them were served bellinis by a maid before being left to themselves.

"What were you doing downstairs? Listening to your father's private affairs?"

"Yes. What's wrong with that?"

"You know that your father's business has nothing to do with you."

"Yes it does if I want to take over from Dad when he steps down. Or he-"

"Luciana!" her mother snapped, "we've had this conversation many times before. Your father will never let you take over the family business. And even if he does, no one will take you seriously."

"Why, cause it's a men's world?"

"Exactly." Her mother took a long sip from her glass before continuing. "You've been given more power and freedom than most other girls your age could even fathom so don't be so ungrateful."

Her mother was not entirely false. Despite being rather strict, Luciana's father spoiled her. She had her whole school wrapped around her finger to the point where even the teachers barely ever told her off. She could obtain VIP tickets to almost anywhere and her family's public persona as honest, wealthy business people preceded her everywhere. But that still wasn't enough.

"You and I both know that Romeo couldn't take over Mum. He'd bring more shame us than anyone."

"He can learn", her mother responded, although she didn't sound entirely sure herself.

"Uncle Charles and Uncle Vic think that he's incompetent. Do you really think that he'll do well if his subordinates don't respect him?"

"It's what your father wishes so leave it."

Luciana's mother spoke sternly this time in a tone which meant ℎ𝑜𝑙𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑡𝑜𝑛𝑔𝑢𝑒 𝑜𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑏𝑒 𝑡𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑏𝑙𝑒 so Luciana complied. She watched her mother get up to refill her glass and sighed, contemplating over the injustice of her situation.