28. Selfish & Self-Less

"Another week I suspect." Tommy remarked. 

"That's good... or bad." Trina murmured poking a stick into the fire. 

"It's been quiet, too quiet." Arthur agreed. 

"Everything is fine." Ada corrected slapping her brothers over the head. "Everything is fine." She repeated to Trina. 

Trina opened her mouth but she heard a distant howling and her head snapped around. She felt a wash of pain at the memory of losing her direwolf so many years ago. Ghost stood on guard nose high in the air as he smelt a pack coming. 

"Take Lya." Trina whispered standing up. 

"What are you doing?" Sansa demanded seeing Trina heading towards the howling and crunch of paws in the leaves and twigs. 

"Trina?" Jon agreed confused. 

"Wolves, it is like they know." Trina rasped. "Know we need them, know we need a bit of home before we..." her words drifted as she saw Avalon. Her direwolf. She looked around at the pack. 

"Avalon." Trina whispered stepping forward but they growled. "Nymeria... is that you?" Arya moved forward slowly. "Avalon, Avalon its me." Trina begged. Avalon had five wolves with her.

"That's not Nymeria." Arya whispered disappointed. 

Trina knew it was stupid, but she couldnt help but think that maybe just maybe those wolves were her family too. Ned, Catelyn, Rickon, Robb, Theon. Looking out for them, telling them they could do this, they could win, they were looking for their children, their siblings still even after death.

"Avalon," Trina begged reaching a hand out for her. "Avalon please, I need you. I need you now." Trina closed her eyes as she knelt down hand extended to her. Snarls on their lips Arya gripped her blade but Trina sighed, knees sinking into the dirt as she waited. Ghost stood at Jon's side waiting for a command. 

"Avalon please." Trina whispered her voice drifting in the breeze. 

Jon took a step forward but Avalon rested her head against the flat of Trina's hand and Trina's eyes popped open. Trina was scared to breathe.

"Hey girl, I missed you." Trina whispered. Avalon took another step closer as her pack howled out. Lyanna tried to howl out from Ada's arms before she started laughing and clapping. 

"Woof, woof." Lyanna declared. 

Avalon rubbed her face against Trina's and she broke down in sobs as she clung to her wolf. She looked back at Avalon's pack, another howl before they ran off too. 

"Hey girl," Trina whimpered as Avalon rubbed up against her. 

"That was terrifying." Jon remarked as Ghost came up to them. 

"You remember Ghost? Your old boyfriend." Trina mused as the wolves walked in opposite directions brushing against each other, their tails curled together before head butting then wrestling happily. 

"It's a sign." Polly Shelby remarked softly. 

"What that Aunt Pol?" Tommy questioned. 

"We are going to win this war. This will be the last war." Polly remarked. 

"The wolves tell you that?" Arthur murmured. "I didnt know speaking dog was in your bag of tricks." 

"It is foretold." Polly corrected. "A union of fire and ice as it was done before. Lyanna stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. A child born of love brought the realms together after tearing it apart."

"And you think that means we are going to win-" Tommy countered skeptically.

"History has repeated itself." Polly remarked. "But in reverse it seems. They lost, we will not. Lyanna and Rhaegar became fire, but Trina and Jon are ice. Lyanna and Rhaegar lost and lost. Trina gained her wolf back. Lyanna and Rhaegar lost the crown, the throne and their lives. Trina gained the peoples trust and loyalty, gained her wolf, she will gain what her aunt lost." 

"Lyanna was claimed to have loved Rhaegar." 

"And it got them killed." Polly agreed. "Trina loved Jon, she grew to love him more. What Lyanna and Rhaegar did was selfish. Ruined lives and families for their own lust. Trina married Jon not because of her needs but for the people. To protect. She wasnt selfish, she was and still is self-less."