⁰ ²|𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐮𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐞

“I could call my father if you would prefer to talk to him directly.” Romeo offers with a smirk on his face. The underlying threat in his words seem to affect the man seated opposite us. He readjusts himself on his seat nervously and I can’t help but smile for a moment. 

“I don’t think it has gotten to that Mr. Allegretti, this matter isn’t worth disturbing The Judge.” The headmaster hurriedly rushes out, trying his best to dissuade Romeo from carrying out his threat. He’s a big man, over 6’3 with wide shoulders and a muscular build. So to see him cowering away from mere teenagers is downright comical.

“I agree Headmaster Stefan but I hardly believe it’s fair that you blindly trust the information provided by an anonymous blog, the same blog that has accused you of embezzling funds in the past,” I say my voice firm, leaving no room for argument. The headmaster’s eyes widen being reminded of the scandal that almost put a stop to his career. I can hear my father’s voice in my head.

The best threats are the ones you make without actually threatening anyone, mija.

The headmaster presses his lips into a thin line as he stares across the table into my eyes. “I’m aware of the unreliability of the blog in question, Ms. Cabrera. I’m not accusing you or Mr. Allegretti of anything. I’m only concerned about how it might affect both of you and the rest of the school. You know teenagers tend to gossip and all.” The man says with his hands clenched together and a strained smile on his lips.

“I’m happy you see the story from our point of view,” I reply with a smile and the headmaster has no choice but to widen his already shaky smile.

“I’m glad we were able to swiftly resolve this issue. Your classes are about to begin, you should get going. Have a wonderful day, both of you.” He says as both Romeo and I stand up from our seats.

“Thank you, Headmaster,” I say with a smile over my shoulder and Romeo doesn’t bother giving the man a second glance as we walk out of the office. 

I can almost physically feel the tension in the room the moment we walk into the reception. I grimace as my eyes fall on Nicolás and Scarlet sitting as far away from each other as physically possible. Scarlet wastes no time dashing to my side, an attempt to put more distance between her and her ex-boyfriend. Romeo makes his way over to his assistant and I can see Scarlet visibly panic, her blue eyes wide as both of them begin walking over. 

“Calm down,” I mutter under my breath just as the boys are within hearing distance. I intertwine my fingers with hers, trying my best to ground my best friend. We collectively exit the office as we begin talking.

“I hear you didn’t hesitate to put Stefan in his place, Reina,” Nic says to me with a grin on his lips and I can’t help the smile that creeps up on my face as the memory of the headmaster squirming under my gaze flits through my mind. Ever since Freshman year, Nic has refused to call me Gwendolyn, declaring it old-fashioned and a name for a Grandmother, choosing instead to stick with my middle name. I quarreled with him about it at first, no one outside family calls me that but three years have passed and I’ve grudgingly accepted he isn't going to change his mind. I don’t know when but at some point it had started to feel comforting of course, I’d never admit that out loud.

“Please, the second Romeo threatened to call the judge, Stefan was a goner.” The boys chuckle but Scarlet only squirms nervously at my side, pulling at her blonde hair as the conversation continues. Noticing her discomfort, I stop with a hand on Scarlet’s shoulder. “Well, Scarlet and I have a class in ten minutes, and considering I’m probably not any teachers’ favorite at the moment I think I better get going,” I say with a smile but I can tell Nic isn’t buying it by the disappointed look on his face. Romeo looks confused but nods.