⁰ ⁹|𝐄𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐲 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐬

Dedicated to Loveth020

Sliding into my bed early that morning is a luxury I'd never take for granted ever again. Bola and Scarlet are already fast asleep by the time I make it back into my room. Scarlet doesn't hesitate to pull me into her embrace just like she used to when we were kids. Her snores fill the room and I smile because just a few hours ago I thought I'd never get to hear that sound ever again. Bola mutters something in her sleep and I raise my head to find her twisting her limbs into another unnatural position that no one other than Bola would find comfort in. The smile doesn't leave my face as I fall into a drugless sleep.

The first time I wake up is a result of the freezing cold that seeps into the room through the window I opened earlier. It's just after dawn and every single part of my body aches as I slip out of Scarlet's embrace. I notice Bola's absence as I shakily made my way to the windows and recall something she said about an early ballet practice she had today. I've barely fallen into the bed before wrapping the thick blankets around me and passing out.

I wake up the second time to a hand on my forehead. Slowly opening my eyes my vision is hazy as I make out the faint outline of Scarlet with Yeona by her side.

"King, I think she has a fever." Yeona is saying but her voice fades away with each word and I can just pick up the rustling of someone else in my room. I manage to open my eyes in time to catch the tight lipped frown etched on Scarlet's face, the last thing I see before succumbing to sleep once more.

The third time I wake up, I do so in a pool of my own sweat. Grimacing at the stickiness of my body as I sit up and the pain in my limbs only makes things worse. I blink a few times to clear the haziness of sleep from my eyes and the previous night's events come flooding back. I yawn and stretch my body with my hands over my head as I try my best to soothe my muscles. Glancing at the digital clock on my nightstand, the glowing red numbers read '5:22' and I cringe, realizing I slept the entire day away. My mood brightens immediately I spot my phone on my nightstand and I pick it up grateful for the familiar weight of the device in my hands. The cracks on the screen break my heart a little and I sigh in relief when it comes on with no difficulty. My brows furrow in confusion when I spot a white piece of paper the phone was previously laid on. I pick it up assuming it's a note from one of my friends. My blood runs cold, however when the message written on it registers in my brain.

'Any word of this to the authorities and your beloved brother ends up like your dear parents.'

I choke on the urge to scream but the sudden lack of air in my lungs make it impossible to do so. There's a sharp sting of fear in my stomach and my hands shake in terror till the words on the paper are illegible. I toss it aside as if it burned me. The closing of my throat causes me to panic and I recognize the signs of an incoming panic attack. I quickly stumble my way over to my desk before searching for the familiar container. When the white pill is in my mouth I swallow it dry and the action brings about a false sense of calm. Ignoring my haggard reflection in the mirror, I grab the piece of paper before leaving the room.

My footsteps are loud and heavy as I stomp down the steps. I cling desperately to the idea that this is just some cruel joke pulled by someone, probably Adi for some laughs and giggles. But deep down I know that Adi would never joke about something like this. Barging into the common room, the conversation between Nic and King comes to a halt as they notice my presence. Looks of concern and confusion crosses their features. I know how I look with my braids limp and sticking every which way, my eyes red with exhaustion and ringed with dark circles. The fading bruise on my forehead isn't helping matters.

I look absolutely mad.

"Gwen, are you alright?" King is the first to speak, his words hesitant and weary as he assesses my form with a questioning look on his face.