⁰ ⁸|𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡

When I snuck out earlier today, coming face to face with death was not on my to-do list. As I come to, the dim light has me blinking numerous times till I can finally focus. My ears pick up the sound of a ruckus around me and my eyelids feel like sandpaper as my eyes fight to stay open.

“She’s awake!” It takes a while to recognize Scarlet’s voice and she supports my head as I struggled to sit up. I am still in Adi’s room and I look around to find everyone scattered around the small space. My eyes find Romeo perched on Adi’s bed. He’s cleaned up, the dirt and blood gone with a change of clothes, loose pants, and a tank top with his left arm wrapped in gauze, courtesy of King, I assume. I open my mouth to ask how he is with panic in my eyes as I move to get up. Scarlet holds me down with a firm hand around me. “He’s fine.”

“But-” I protest, the words barely a strangled whisper.

“Relax Cara, it was just a graze. The bullet didn’t even penetrate.” He flashes a smile at me but I don’t believe him. There was blood, so much blood, some of it I can still feel on my skin and I refuse to believe it was just a graze. King moves towards me, a worried frown on his face as he assesses my form.

“You should take it easy, luckily you don’t have a concussion and there doesn’t seem to be internal bleeding but-”

“I’m fine.” I don’t let him finish not wanting to hear my diagnosis as I look away. My gaze meets Adi and Emilia sitting on the floor, cuddled together and my lips press into a thin line when I see Emilia’s tear-stained cheeks.

“She’s tired, let her rest. You can play doctor later King.” Bola tells her brother from my right and he gives me a once over again before letting out a sigh and moving to sit next to Yeona. Nic leans on the door, his arms crossed and I can see his feet tapping on the floor in agitation.

“What time is it?” I ask and a cough follows the words as the sentence proves too much for my dehydrated throat.

“2:07,” Bola says as Scarlet hands me a bottle of water. I chug it down in seconds with her help before handing it back to her. More coughs rattle my form causing me to hunch over in pain. Scarlet holds me in her arms as Bola soothingly rubs my back. I look up to find everyone staring at me, the look of pity on their faces undeniable. 

I hate it.

“What about Zara?” 

“She’s asleep,” Bola tells me. The silence that follows is overwhelming and the urge to leave the room is increasing by the second. 

“I want-” My words are cut off by Nic. He pushes off the door before walking forward. He paces at the center of the room, his face twisted in confusion as he glances between Romeo and me. 

“Let me get this straight, someone tried to kill both of you?” He asks as he suddenly comes to a halt.

“Not exactly,” Romeo replies before I have a chance to speak. He winces as he mistakenly lifts his injured arm then he points at me with the other. “Someone tried to kill her.”

I shrug. “It won’t be the first time.”

“Gwen.” Scarlet breaths, bristling at my words as she tightens her hold on me with a shocked look on her face. I only release a sigh of fatigue before resting my head on her shoulder. Scarlet being my oldest and closest friend is naturally privy to the layers of my statement.

“We need to tell Zara,” Yeona says as she abruptly stands up. The fear in her voice has my heart pounding and my body begins shaking which doesn’t go unnoticed by Scarlet and Bola going by the look they share.

“Forget that we need to call the police. It could be a serial killer.” Emilia says as she jumps up from the floor. She begins crying, her sobs muffling whatever she says next. Aditya reaches for her, wrapping her in his arms as he tries to console her. I nearly roll my eyes. I love my friends but the drama isn’t necessary. After all, Romeo and I are the ones that were almost killed.