Vernon || Christmas Rescue [1]

[December 13 || 1pm ]

It was winter, and Christmas was approaching. Before December 16–17, students and faculty at Hybe University would plan their Christmas celebration.

Their calendar for those two days was jam-packed with enjoyable and stress-relieving activities.

First, the students had to arrange their respective classrooms for Christmas as a block section, while the faculty and staff prepared for the university's Christmas celebration at the ballroom.

According to reports, a limited selection of students were picked to perform at the Christmas celebration, and everyone was excited when they learned who those individuals were. Except for one kid, almost everyone knew who had been picked and could have predicted all of them.

He is a classmate of mine, and I was startled to learn that he had been picked to perform. He has the ability to create music, but dancing? Who knows.

I was taking a seat and resting my head on my arms on my allocated table while the others were busy deciding what food to bring, what games to play, and who to choose for the exchange giving activity at the Christmas party on the 16th.

After falling asleep throughout the first two discussions, I felt a tap on my shoulder during the third. I awoke still groggy, my eyes squinting from the sudden brightness change.

"Pick a student," the class secretary stated as she shook a black hat with shredded bits of paper inside in front of me.

I did as she instructed, reaching my right hand into the hat and swiftly picking up whichever paper I had originally rested my palm on.

"Once you've chosen a classmate, you may go home." The students were glad that lessons were finally done for the day and eager to go shopping for their chosen classmate's requested present.

"Before you depart, remember to put your desired present on this list so the person who picked you knows what to purchase."

Before departing, the class did just that. I chose to unroll the paper I was holding in the dorm, being the sleepyhead that I was.

It was a secret Santa game, and I didn't want anyone to see who I chose. If that happened, it would no longer be a secret, would it?

I nudged my arm against the enormous backpack as I carried my bag, ready to go home. However, as I went out, I accidentally bumped into another classmate of mine, Hansol.

My eyesight was still foggy from drowsiness, and all I could think about was my lovely, cozy bed.

"I'm sorry," I said as I bowed.

"No worries, and please accept my apologies; I'm in a rush."

"Performance practice?" I wondered.

"Yeah," he said, nodding. "Are you planning to attend the Christmas Party on the 17th?"

Students are not compelled to attend this campus Christmas celebration. So, it is your choice to watch the performance or just stay at home and enjoy a one-day free Christmas break.

"I have archery sessions that day, but if I finish up quickly, I'll plan to visit."

"Wonderful! I'll see you on the 17th, bye!"

"Bye! Good luck with your practice!" I waved back as I watched him walk away for a few seconds before walking to my dorm.

With a weary sigh, I entered the dorm and placed my keys on the tiny plate on top of the shoe drawer.

I removed my shoes and reached inside the drawer, but as I opened it, a little bubblegum-pink box caught my attention.

Since when did I keep a jewelry box inside the drawer? Was I that tired that I misplaced my belongings in a drawer where they didn't belong? I don't remember ever misplacing anything. So, how did this make its way inside?