Ugh.

It had been a week since Luffy had last seen Law or his family. Exams and classes at university had kept him from spending time with them.

The fact was, Luffy attended university down in Nagoya, close to a three hour ride away from Tokyo, where both Law and his family lived.

And although it was a doable journey, the circumstances made Luffy feel increasingly lethargic and awfully homesick. Of course he had his friends to keep him company. Usopp and Zoro attended the same college, and Franky and Robin lived in Kyushu as well, and were happy to indulge in Luffy's occasional surprise drop ins.

But the fact was, Luffy's friends were growing up. And fast. Usopp already had a girlfriend, his first love, a sweet golden-haired medical student named Kaya. Zoro wasn't officially in a relationship of course, but even he had acquired a particular fascination with a japanese law student, Tashigi, who shared his deep love for katanas and the martial arts.

Luffy was incredibly happy for them, but he simply could not help but feel lonely as he began to see his roommates less and less.

Robin and Franky on the other hand were a newly-wed couple. They were often out in town enjoying the hustle and the bustle of street vendors and the extravagant nightlife, spending their days nestled in the sweet freedom and passion of their honeymoon stage.

Luffy felt bad bothering them, so his drop in's became less frequent.

Sabo on the other hand was quite busy. He and Koala had their hands full with planning their wedding which was now, only 3 months away.
The weeks were spent picking the colour schemes flower arrangements and giving measurements for wedding dresses. Now Luffy was ecstatic for them, but life just kept them so busy that they hardly checked in on him anymore.

He didn't blame them of course, he was an adult. Perfectly capable of taking care of himself.

Ugh.

Being an adult sucks.

As he sat on the couch, contemplating the way his life was unfolding, Luffy's thoughts wandered to the only other person left to think about, Law.

Law was nice. Law was great.

He bought Luffy food and took him out for even more food.

What more do you need from a man who gives you food?

Law gives good hugs. They were warm and firm, but also weirdly gentle. Luffy could feel Law's breath on the crown of his head. He could hear his heart thumping away despite his heavy coat. He liked the way Law would rub circles into his back as they held each other.

The subtle hints of perfume on Law's clothes comforted Luffy, stole away all the troubles and tension, leaving him all gooey and defenseless in his arms.
It made him feel warm and fuzzy on the inside as well. Luffy wasnt really sure whether he had felt that way before. It was this new, unfamiliar territory, that Luffy had the urge to explore.

Ugh.

This is totally weird.

Does Law feel this stuff too?

The intrusive thoughts ran circles in his head. He stared at the grey ceiling of the apartment. The silence was way too loud.

Luffy wanted it to stop.

His eyes were beginning to water and his skin felt all hot and itchy all of a sudden. The clock ticking in the background was clear as day and the world was a little blurrier now.

Bzzzzzt.

Oh.

Someone's calling.

I should pick up.

Luffy glanced to his side tiredly. The light from his phone lit up the vicinity. His muscles groaned as he reached over to grab it off the coffee table.

"Hello?"

"Luffy-ya?"

Luffy sat up slightly, propping his back against the arm of the couch.

"Law? Hey! What's up?"

"Nothing really, just wanted to check in since we haven't been able to meet up recently. How're you doing?"

"Meh. Just peachy. How about you?"

"I'm alright, it's uneventful to say the least"

The corners of Luffy's lips quirked.  "Sounds about right......I miss you Torao."

The laughter that came through the speaker lifted the weight off Luffy's heart just a little.

"I miss you too Luffy-ya".

Ugh.

How unfair.

"Take me out the next time we meet?"

"You dont even have to ask".

Oh god.

This is awkward.

But its also making me feel things. 

I need a doctor. Or therapy. Or both.

"Hm. Talk to me more?"

"Wasn't planning on going anywhere else sunshine".

He called me sunshine...

Luffy stared a little harder at the grey ceiling. And if you squinted a little bit harder through the darkness of the living room, you'd spot the red colouring his cheeks clear as day.

Ugh.

~~~

Plot twist: He likes you.