Glossary of Terms

A

Alchemical Oath – A promise that is sworn using an Alchemist's or Chemist's Kundalini, making it a binding Oath that can only be broken with dire consequences. Also known as an Oath.

Alchemists – The people who can perform Alchemy.

Alchemy – The magic of this world. Alchemy has a special Code of Conversion Circles and Code Words that are kept secret so that only people who have been trained in Alchemy can perform Conversions. There are seven Fragments (or categories) of Conversions, and each Fragment has five, six, or seven Conversion Circles, which have different Code Words. Most Conversions require a Component, which is like an ingredient that makes the Conversion have a variety of results. See Fragments of Alchemy and Conversions and Components for more information.

Alchimaera – A game played with cards and dice and holographic Chimaeras.

Amaranthine – See Fragments of Alchemy.

Amaranthine Alchemist/Chemist – Someone who teaches or studies the Amaranthine Fragment.

Anima(single)/Animarum(plural) – Alchemists who work with the Code Keeper to keep Alchemy a secret from Recreants and protect the Keeper's secrets. They also protect Blackthorn and Burtree from Shadow Alchemists.

Astral Dreamer – Alchemists who work for the Keeper to view and record Infinimages in the Crystal Realm.

Aurulent – See Fragments of Alchemy.

Aurulent Alchemist/Chemist ­– Someone who teaches or studies the Aurulent Fragment.

Azure – See Fragments of Alchemy.

Azure Alchemist/Chemist – Someone who teaches or studies the Azure Fragment.

B

Blackthorn and Burtree – The magical society of Alchemists, and the school where Chemists learn Alchemy. The Sacred Halls of Alchemy located at Blackthorn and Burtree are underneath the city of Bergen, Norway.

Breaker – The leader of the Shadow Faction of Alchemists. This is considered the Dark Faction of Alchemists known to prey on the weak to perform Alchemy of the Occult which sacrifice the living (oftentimes using the lives of Recreants as Components for their Conversions). The Code Breaker is usually concerned with stealing the secrets of the Code Keeper.

Burgeoning Notebook – An Alchemical notebook that is enchanted to do a number of magical things, including add pages as the user needs them, sort the pages of notes into sections for each Fragment of study, and renew the pencil so it will never need to be sharpened.

C

canitris – A kind of Chimaera (Alchemical beast) made from a dog and hawk. It has the head, body, legs and tail of a dog and the wings of the hawk. The most famous canitris is Simargl.

caprequos A kind of Chimaera (Alchemical beast) made from a goat and gazelle. It has the head, body, tail, and legs of the gazelle, with the hooves and beard of a goat (if male). The antlers of the gazelle come together to make a single horn on the caprequos. Unicorn is a famous caprequos.

Cardinal – See Fragments of Alchemy.

Cardinal Alchemist/Chemist – Someone who teaches or studies the Cardinal Fragment.

Cerulean – See Fragments of Alchemy.

Cerulean Alchemist/Chemist – Someone who teaches or studies the Cerulean Fragment.