Chapter 2

I go to the archery section, ignoring Haymitch's orders. I can feel Cato's eyes on me. I get an arrow ready and start to shoot at targets, they all hit the center.
"I'm guessing that the only weapon that you can use is a bow and arrows," Cato says, walking to me.

"Yeah," I say.
"Are you sure you don't want me to help you use a sword? You would have a better chance of winning," he says.
"Fine."
We go over to the sword section. Cato grabs a sword and hands it to me.

But I'm not sure how to use it. He comes behind me and grabs my arm, his body is pressed against my back. Cato shows me the motions of how to use a sword. Then he steps away from me and takes the sword.
"Watch me," he says.
He stabs every single dummy in the chest.

I don't think that I can do that. He hands me the sword.
"Yeah, I think I'll stick to the bow and arrow," I say.
"Come on, I know that you can use this as well as I can," he says.
I sigh and grab the sword and stab every single dummy.

"I told you so," Cato says, "can you teach me how to use a bow and arrow?"
"Sure," I say.
We go to the archery section and Cato shows me what he can do. He hits the center! ... On the other target that he tried to hit. I try not to laugh.

"Yeah, you need help," I say. "Stand straight, breathe in, breathe out and shoot."
"Got it," he says.
He stands straighter, breathes in, breathes out and shoots. He hits the center of the target that he wanted to hit!

"I can't believe you got it," I say.
"That's hurtful," Cato says.
"I meant it in the nicest way possible."
"Sure."
"It's true, Cato."
"Is it, Katniss?"
"So you do know my name?"

"Duh," he says.
"But why do you know my name? Why do you want to help me?" I ask.
"Two reasons: because I want you to be a Career and I like you."
"You want me to be a Career?"
"Yeah, do you?"
"Sure, but what about the other three?"

"What about them?" he asks.
"Are they okay with me being one?" I ask.
"I don't know. But I will protect you from them."