Chapter 16

8 and 1/2 years later...

I'm pregnant and pretty much everyone knows it. Since Caesar asked when I started to show. Gale is the only who doesn't like the idea of me being pregnant.

I don't want my kid to be in the Games, but I don't want Cato to go back to District 2 either. But fortunately, Peeta's dad has given me a lot of food to keep my family healthy. But we have enough and I don't like eating much. I lie on the bed I share with Cato, not wanting to move. Then Cato walks into the room but stays at the frame of the door.

"Are you okay?" he asks.
"Yeah," I say, sighing.
We have been mentors for eight years and we've watched sixteen people from District 12 get killed by the Careers. I don't want to see the same thing happen to our kid. Cato walks closer to me and sits beside me on the bed.

Once this he or she is born, he or she will be the most popular person on Panem. Because many people are waiting, mostly in the Capitol and in District 12. I know that Snow just wants to see our kid in the arena in eighteen years. Her or his name will probably get pulled, Snow will do something.

We've had no volunteers since I did, no one from District 12 has volunteered for the Games but me. Cato says that we'll have to train our kid until he or she gets chosen to be in the Games. We're going to start training our kid when he or she is ten years old, two years before he or she could be chosen.

Cato says not to worry about anything right now. Because nothing that involves the Games could hurt us now. I know that he's right, but I worry any way.