Chapter 11

Katniss' POV

Peeta and I watch over Rue while she sleeps. Then I hear a twig snap and Marvel walks through the bushes, holding a spear. I aim my bow at him and release an arrow, he dodges it. He throws the spear, I dodge it and he runs away. I don't bother to go after him.

I turn to Peeta and there's a spear in his chest! He's on the ground, dead. Rue is crouched beside him. He was my friend, he saved my life and I saved his. But it still feels like I owe him more. I tear trickles down my cheek and I wipe it away quickly. I'm coming for you, Marvel. I look at Rue, she puts a flower in Peeta's hand.

Then I start crying. In the corner of my eye, I see a camera. I put three fingers to my lips and raise them to the camera.
"We should go," I tell Rue.
She nods. We pack up and start walking, not sure where we're actually going.

After quite awhile, we find ourselves at the Cornucopia. Nobody is there, we have an advantage now. We grab a few more weapons, lots of bottles filled with cold water and a lot more food. We grab as much as we can and go into the edge of the forest, eat and drink.

"Katniss? Rue?" I hear a familiar voice ask behind us - Cato.
It's just Cato.
"What happened to your shadows?" I ask coldly.
"Left them, and I know about Peeta. And I'm sorry about that," he says.

"It's fine," I say.
Rue yawns and wipes her eyes.
"You should get some sleep."
"Okay," she says.
Rue lies down and falls asleep.
"Cato, me leaving had nothing to do with you," I say, "I just had to s-"
He shuts me up with a kiss.

I wrap my arms around his neck and he puts his hands on my hips, he brings me closer to him. When we pull away for air, he kisses me again. Cato lightly pushes me to the ground and lies on me. I can tell that he's trying not to hurt me in any way possible. I'm nervous, this hasn't happened before ever.

Our lips move in sync. His tongue slides along my bottom lip, asking for an entrance. And I let him in. This is all new for me, and I like it.