Chapter 4

A/N: Happy new year!! I wish you all a lot of happiness, fortune and good health.

_______________________________

Y/N's POV

„Where are we headed to?" Yaba asks. Banda and I glance at each other.

„Ooh, I know! King of diamonds is always fun." I comment enthusiastically.

„What do you mean by always fun?" Yaba stares at me confused.

„Doesn't it sound fun to you?" I answer with a smile. I notice that he doesn't fully understand but decides to brush it off anyways. Luckily, he didn't push any further. I don't what I would've done, if they found out.

No one had anything against it, so we made our way to the next game.

There were zero drivable cars near the area, so going by foot was the only option. „Are we almost there yet?" I groan. By now, we've already been walking for about an hour and my legs were close to their breaking point. My lack of rest didn't help either.

„Tired, already?" Yaba laughs with his hand tucked in his pocket. I send him an „angry" glare.

„Do you want me to carry you?" he asks with a serious face. I look at him weirdly. Banda who's walking in between us eagerly waits for my answer.

Confusion was plastered on my face. These two are acting stranger than usual.

„I was joking, in case you didn't get that" Yaba confesses, his stern expression remains.

„Oh, haha", I laugh awkwardly „Jokes aren't really your thing, huh?"

„Actually, I thought it was a good joke. Do you not agree?" Yaba genuinely looks concerned while scratching the back of his head.

„No, yeah, it was good... to an extent. Anyway, how long-"

Before I could finish my sentence, we suddenly hear loud screams moving closer to us.

In that moment, I hear a gun being cocked.

An almost deafening sound was close to damaging my eardrums. One shot after the other came out in the speed of light.

The King of Spades.

Although this wasn't my first interaction with him, my flight or fight response was to stay still. My legs were glued to the ground. I don't move a single muscle, even though, I see players running for their lives in front of me. Right next to me, I see Yaba quickly moving to the right side, hiding behind one of the unusable cars.

At first, everything seemed like it was moving in slow motion. From afar, I could see the man dressed in a black cloak. The next thing I know, I was being dragged into one of the empty alleyways on the right.

That's when I finally come back to my senses. As I am about to stick my head out and see if the King of Spades is still there, a large hand pulls me back, covering my mouth.

Banda spares me a quick look and signals for me to be quiet. There wasn't much distance between us. The man continues to scope our surroundings.

While Banda was looking to see if the king was still targeting us, I stay submissive. For some odd reason, I look up at him and analyse his face. I notice his sharp jawline and his intriguing eyes, I could get lost in if I stare long enough.

By now, I hear the shots distancing from us. Still, my main focus was on his features. The way his hair had been ruffled up, his defined nose bridge and his lips that are always curved into a smirk-

„Do you like what you see?" Banda grins, interrupting my thoughts. I instantly flush red. I had gotten distracted, which made me disregard the fact that he had removed his hand from my mouth already and was now looking at me.

With no other response, I clear my throat. He seems to be enjoying the sight of me flustered. And also, the fact that he was the cause of it.

The incident almost made me forget that Yaba was gone. "Where's Yaba?"

"Why? Miss him already?" I surprisingly sensed hints of jealously. He seemed even more serious than Yaba making a joke.

Before I could reply, I heard footsteps. We quickly run further into the alleyway. We stopped at what seemed to be an abandoned park which had unkept tall grass everywhere.

The person seems to be heading this way too. No wait, two people? Banda and I hid in the greenery. I hear the crunches of dry leaves. The steps come closer.

A few minutes go by silently. They seem to be trying to catch a rabbit.

"Would you go serious about this? We don't have food for tonight" a familiar female voice states.

Banda slowly tries escape the situation. Wait. It had finally dawned on me.

"Y/N-", I hear Banda calls me, as I step out, revealing myself to them.

Little did I know, this will be the worst decision I have ever made.
Or not.

_______________________________

A/N: My new years resolution includes finishing what I started. So, if you have any tips on what I could improve on or just story suggestions, just say it :)) I'm always open. This is my first published book so I'm kinda figuring things out right now.

P.S. I love ALL your comments, I wish I could like and reply to all of them. I read every single one at least twice. Your encouragement does really motivate me and I just want to say thank you to everyone.🤍🤍

(not me acting like I'm a celebrity💀)